News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Correcting a warp in a H7 housing for a 307..

Started by RotoTech99, March 29, 2020, 02:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

What would be a safe way to correct a slight warp in a H7 mount plastic housing for a 307 phone; It doesn't appear to be a major problem, but I'm curious if there is a simple way to correct the warp, please? I've attached a picture of it.

I know already I will need to slightly modify the base by notching the base corners, and bending the rim around the base in a bit until it will fit down into the housing with minimal issue, but my primary question regards the warp in the housing I mentioned.

Also, can I use an H1 housing mount if I can't satisfactorily correct the housing warp?

If the forum can provide advice and assistance, please, I will be thankful to them.

RotoTech99

Key2871

I think given the age, it may cause it to break.
Or later warp more after you try to get rid of it.
I've tried a low level heat gun on a 302 housing I had, but it didn't make much difference, and I was afraid it could crack if I pressed my luck.
KEN

RotoTech99

Dear Key2871:

Could I use an H1 housing mount in place of the H7 housing mount?

It only had a cracked corner, which I repaired with acetone weld... I didn't see any warping  that I  think would affect using it. The acetone weld appears to have worked satisfactorily, and I think it should fit it... I'm. about to smooth down the weld area, but I thought I should ask your opinion first, please.

What do you think? I think I will still need to notch the baseplate corners and adjust the rim a bit, but I think it should work along with the H1 housing; what would be your advice, please?

Thank you, RotoTech99

Key2871

I'm not an expert by any means. But I don't even know the difference between the two.
I would imagine the mounts are the same, as far as anything else I don't know. It's been among time since live had any 300 sets.
Sit tight, someone is bound to happen along to give you better answers.
KEN

rdelius

The housing is the same, only the ink stamps are different

RotoTech99

Dear Rdelius & Key2871:

Here is a picture of the number card on my 307 for you to enjoy.
It reads: Delavan 181-21.

I think there is a topic board covering number cards, so I'll post it there as well.

Thank you for the information.

RotoTech99

poplar1

You can use the housing marked H1 as long as you keep the original hookswitch. Notice that it has 6 contacts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

I did indeed keep the original hook switch, and the warped H7 Housing.

RotoTech99

poplar1

I meant you could transfer the original 6-conductor hookswitch to the replacement housing if you want to keep the 307 closer to original.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

I did transfer the 307's original hook switch and base to the H1 housing... I kept the H7 housing as a comparison piece in the event someone asked me about it.

RotoTech99

Key2871

Yea it was the hook switch I thought may have to be changed, well glad it worked out ..
KEN

RotoTech99

Dear Key2871 and Poplar1:

I forgot to mention the handset cord is a 4 ft. fat rubber or vinyl three conductor type.

Also, there was a minor chip out on the receiver end below the cap and below the threading for the cap... A little PC7 patched that, and after it cures I'll touch it up with a paint pen.

RotoTech99

Babybearjs

just remember, the housings on an h1 thru to an h7 are pretty much the same, so changing out the shell is no big deal. the warp you show is something that I would  just ignore. to me, that slight imperfection is something that gives the phone character. Its the cracks and breaks that get me... I've got a few sets that have chips in them, and I don't mind... as long as they work, thats what I look at... all my 307's work and are just waiting to get used.... if that day ever comes....
John

RotoTech99

The primary reason  changing the housing was the warp was significantl enough that it wouldn't allow the base and housing to fully meet and close, and I'd rather not modify the baseplate unless absolutely need be.

I think I made a reasonable choice in switching out housings
I'm not disposing of the H7 housing, it may yet find new life, although I will need to locate  more components.

Babybearjs

the situation is just like working on newer phones... I have several 2564 phones that I bought surplus, all ITT. Several of the sets had faceplates that broke, and all the sets are brown. I'm dismanteling them and saving the parts for other sets, I'm probibly going to be buying some new shell kits... just like you, too many parts, too many phones....
John