"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is this even possible? Very reasonably priced yellow WE 500

Started by Butch Harlow, March 24, 2018, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

WE 500 FOR 12.99 free shipping???

Best of all, it's marked shipped this morning.

Yes, it's ugly. But I was specifically looking for things to test out my new, home made buffing station on. It is a color I didn't have, it's complete, and needs my help. It met all the requirements..
Butch Harlow

Partyline4

Don't be surprised if Seller backs out, or says it was broken by an "accident". When they get to the P.O. they'll realize their mistake.....

Hope you get it, though!

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Partyline4 on March 24, 2018, 09:42:20 AM
Don't be surprised if Seller backs out, or says it was broken by an "accident". When they get to the P.O. they'll realize their mistake.....

Hope you get it, though!

Exactly what I was thinking. If it shows up unbroken I can be delightfully surprised. It's not cynicism, it's realistic thinking.
Butch Harlow

AE_Collector

Some people don't realize what it costs to ship things these days! I've been selling and shipping more things lately and can't help comparing all the free shipping included Amazon and other online sellers versus what it costs me to ship something lately. My conclusion is the "giants" get shipping discounts of maybe 75% versus the rest of us paying for those discounts when we ship!

In phones that I have been selling locally I have been blown away how popular thatbyellow has been lately. I listed an AE80 in Sinlight Yellow that had some discolouration for $59 on FB Marketplace and had 12 enquiries in the first 24 hours. It took about 48 hours to weed through the casual enquiries and get to someone who actually picked it up and parted with $59 but it has a new home. I also dropped off some phones at a consignment store and the furstniut their door was also a yellow AE 80.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but your handset may be repainted. And therefore, it all might be. If so go easy on the buffer with painted parts! They buff but be careful! (First buffing advice given by me...didn't know if I would ever get started at buffing. That's about it for advice so far!)

Terry

Butch Harlow

Into the delightfully surprised file this one goes. It arrived, in record time, unbroken. It's a Christmas miracle!!
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

Terry, nothing is painted. I would have actually liked a piece of Bell System C stock history. It's interesting. At the price I paid, that would have been just fine. Oh well, that hunt continues. To the buffing station it goes after a nice bath.
Butch Harlow

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on March 26, 2018, 01:09:23 PM
Terry, nothing is painted. I would have actually liked a piece of Bell System C stock history. It's interesting. At the price I paid, that would have been just fine. Oh well, that hunt continues. To the buffing station it goes after a nice bath.

The original  C stock plastic housings were recycled plastic with "C" molded into the plastic. Later on they started paining them the same color as the recycled plastic.
So it could still be C stock.
jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Jim S. on March 26, 2018, 05:32:34 PM
The original  C stock plastic housings were recycled plastic with "C" molded into the plastic. Later on they started paining them the same color as the recycled plastic.
So it could still be C stock.
jim S.

I just put it all back together after a much needed bath, sticker removal and light sanding on the back followed by a Novus #2 polish. No letter C. The body was cast in 72, inside it has dates from '55 - '72. It's actually pretty nice looking. I still have to buff it, just because I just built a buffer. As with all WE products, it works perfectly.
   Any idea why it has a 5 conductor wall cord, red and green are too short to use, black, white, and yellow are used?
Butch Harlow

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on March 26, 2018, 07:14:05 PM
I just put it all back together after a much needed bath, sticker removal and light sanding on the back followed by a Novus #2 polish. No letter C. The body was cast in 72, inside it has dates from '55 - '72. It's actually pretty nice looking. I still have to buff it, just because I just built a buffer. As with all WE products, it works perfectly.
   Any idea why it has a 5 conductor wall cord, red and green are too short to use, black, white, and yellow are used?

It is the "wrong" cord.  ISTR that this cord may be 2-line 500. The cord works and  matches so the "proper" cord is just needed to be "proper".

This was a nice deal. You should add it to the find of the month considerations.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Greg G.

In regards to the shipping cost, my suspicious mind thinks that perhaps the seller isn't footing the bill.  I used to work in a mail room at a bank and often saw not-exactly-official-looking-mail and packages go through the bank's postage meter.  Wasn't my job to question it, too much volume to deal with.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

I bought an AE 40 on eBay once a long time ago that quoted very low shipping cost of something like $6. When it arrived I noted that it actually only cost $3 something to mail through the USPS......Media Rate.

Terry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector