News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Princess Ringer Help!

Started by debeaune, July 05, 2014, 02:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Happy 4th all!  Have a Bell Princess that I can't get to ring, spent so much time working restoring the shells using the Sally 30 method I never bothered to check the workings of the phone.  Dial, voice inand out work no problem, just cant get a ring, any input? I went from a wire plug to an RJ11 adapter but not sure if I need to swap a wire out on the board like the 500s.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks..Tim

jsowers

You have a 701. It doesn't have an internal ringer. You have to use an external wall-mounted ringer. The 702 Princess and later have internal ringers. Below is a picture of a 701 with its external ringer and transformer for the dial light. You also need a lamp socket and lamp for your phone. The aqua blue housing looks very good.
Jonathan

debeaune

Thanks Jonathan, appreciate the info.  Yes, it was almost green before I applied Sallys 30 Creme to it, placed it in a plastic container in the sun for 2 hours and rinsed it off.  Came out awesome, thanks.  Tim

debeaune

Jonathan, do I need to rewire to get the light to work?  Dies it illuminate during a ring or off hook?  Currently, the yellow from the wall goes to one side and an orange white to the other leg, I'm sure that needs to be changed.?

jsowers

It illuminates off-hook but not with a ring. It also illuminates as a night light, much dimmer, on-hook when you have the switch in the back switched correctly. The 701 uses a #46 lamp with a screw base.

The yellow and blue wires of my 701 mounting cord connect to the lamp transformer, but yours could be wired differently. All the 701 mounting cord wires connect to the external ringer on different screws. Then a piece of station wire connects to the transformer and another piece of station wire connects to the red and green of the phone line. You can use a modular adapter on the end of that wire if you like, to connect to a phone jack on the wall.

If you have a transformer connected to supply the voltage on the black and yellow wires in your house wiring, then you only need the one piece of station wire connected to the ringer.
Jonathan

poplar1

It's usually the yellow and black wires from the 701B Princess to the 6-8 Volts AC transformer. If you can't locate the older lamp holder for Edison base (screw-in) lamp, the later style 702B Princess lamp holder made for #259 lamps will also work for a 701B.

701B=yellow and black
702B=white and black
702BM=yellow and black
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

debeaune

Can't seem to crack this one, took off the weight so I could see the complete wiring yet still can't get the light or voltage for light at the 2 leads, any thoughts, red and green coming in are hot, black yellow not connects.  Tim

poplar1

Terminals 3 and 4 in the phone.

debeaune

I do have the lamp, just not sure how to wire it to get the lamp to illuminate. By Terminal 3 and 4, can you please explain what wiring I need to move, or house wire or jumper to get the voltage to the lamp?  Thank you

poplar1

Do you have either a transformer (6 to 8 Volts) or a battery (6 Volts)? One of these is necessary to make the lamp work by connecting to the yellow and black leads from the phone.

debeaune

I gotcha, light is not going to work via the way I have it wired, can't pull the vdc off of the green and red?  Tim

WesternElectricBen

By VDC do you mean line ren? If you do, then no. The incandescent lights (alike yours) use way to much power, but LEDs can operate off of line ren.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Here is the wiring diagram from the TCI library.

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: debeaune on July 06, 2014, 01:00:29 PM
I gotcha, light is not going to work via the way I have it wired, can't pull the vdc off of the green and red?  Tim

Right. You will need a transformer or a 6-Volt Battery.

debeaune

Thank you all for putting up with me, great info, took this one as far as I can go, just won't have a ringer or light.  Happy Sunday, take care all and thanks again.  Tim