"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE- Converted Conversion # ?

Started by stub, September 30, 2011, 10:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi Everybody,
                    Here's the newest e-bay find. Does anyone have any info on this conversion? The phone came with a 41 hookswitch cradle and a 41 handset. It has a  AE -40 induction coil and is wired like a 40 , and has  TZ 7522  9 stamped on the back. I found the AE-21 Wall Set Conversion kit , but can't seem to find anything on this phone. As always , any help will be greatly appreciated!!     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

I did find out that this is now a AE 44 Wall set. They are the same inside, parts and wiring. The only difference is the transmitter hole coverplate. So I guess this make it a 21 to 44 conversion!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Sorry I don't have anything on the conversion but I do have an original AE 44 wall phone which didn' have the hole for a front mounted transmitter like yours does. I guess the kit is to upgrade type 21 wall sets to type 44 wall sets.

Terry

rdelius

You will need to replace that freq ringer.
Robby

AE_Collector

Quote from: rdelius on October 01, 2011, 10:08:02 AM
Robby

If you want it to ring you will have to replace it but I always like to point out that frequency ringers are very much a part of AE phones. Since I don't have many of my phones hooked up and even if I did I wouldn't want them all to ring, in most cases I prefer to leave the original equipment in my AE's.

Not arguing at all but rather just taking a different point of view.

Terry

Kenny C

My AE 40 has a frequency ringer that stub adjusted and it rings fairly well now.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Terry,
           This one is adjusted so it rings very well.   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Though, if you're planning to keep the original frequency ringer and just have the phone not-ring, I'd strongly suggest disconnecting the ringer entirely so it doesn't draw AC ringing current.  Otherwise you can load down a CO line to the point where your regular phones don't ring. 

As a generalization, on phones that you intend to be non-ringing, disconnect the ringer internally for this reason.  Even as PBX extensions, since the PBX also has a limit as to how many ringers it can ring on any given extension circuit. 

For desk phones with ringers that are non-ringing, I'd put a little note to myself on the bottom, on a piece of masking tape, saying "non-ringing" just so I don't mistakenly plug in a non-ringing phone where I want one that rings.  ("Why are my incoming calls going to voicemail...?  Ooops!") 

On the third hand, frequency ringers probably have an interesting sound when they ring, so if one can build an appropriate oscillator & power amplifier, one could make them ring.  That would be something of an expert undertaking. 

Kenny C

I have my AE 40 (with frequency ringer) and a 302 hooked up there is no difference in the line power. They both ring loud and clear.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_collector on October 01, 2011, 11:20:38 AM
Quote from: rdelius on October 01, 2011, 10:08:02 AM
Robby

If you want it to ring you will have to replace it but I always like to point out that frequency ringers are very much a part of AE phones. Since I don't have many of my phones hooked up and even if I did I wouldn't want them all to ring, in most cases I prefer to leave the original equipment in my AE's.

Not arguing at all but rather just taking a different point of view.

Terry
Terry...this is an excellent point, well worth everyone thinking about. I would much rather have an original phone as found, with matching dates than replacing a part to make it work...to sit on my shelf. If I am selling a phone or want it to work, that is a different story. It is history and once you change something, it is no longer the same. JMHO. Great point Terry....Doug
Kidphone