News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Drilled Lock Success

Started by olderdude60, June 20, 2013, 01:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olderdude60

Hi All - I was given a 1990's AT&T single slot pay phone - and of course no keys.  Found a t-key - but had to resort to drilling out the lock for the coin box - haven't done the one for the housing yet.  Anyway - so a steady slow hand and reverse/forward worked well -  used titanium bits with oil - most got destroyed - but found by starting with a small bit that fit within the lock and working our way up it went a lot faster  - less than two hours. And kept the lock opening in tact with no damage.  A local locksmith said he could replace the locks.

Please be sure to drill only into the lock a depth of no more probably and an inch - we not knowing, drilled into the coin box.  We also used tweezers etc. to remove tumbles, pins, etc.  And Success!  I got $2!   I'll be attempting the housing lock soon - need to replace some titanium bits - but they worked well with the brass housing for the coin box key.

olderdude60

The phone is a November 13, 1992 touch-tone.  Just finished drilling out the Abloy lock k- it was a tough lock using the same bit sequencing - smaller to larger with oil and reverse/forward!   We stopped about 1' - the lock became loose and with a turn of the T-key we were able to twist the lock out and remove the screw - the drilling process loosened the housing lock nut.  We could then remove the lock and yahoo!  The T-key now unlocks both the coin box and service door.  And I'm even richer!  There were additional coins in the coin validator/chute !  In all, $9.50 in free money!  Again, we were able save the lock opening with minimal scratch.  We estimated about 30 phone calls were made after the last retrieval!

If anyone would like pictures of the inside - let me know and we can easily (NOW) do so!

Best of luck guys and gals!
Jim and my buddy Greg who provided most of the muscle!

tallrick

Abloy and Medeco locks can be easily drilled out using a die grinder and tungsten carbide bits. I use the ball mill and can drill out the lock in less than 2 minutes. The Western Electric lock is easy to defeat destructively but trying to pick it is an exercise in frustration. To be able to save my lock I actually drilled the upper housing (which was dented anyway) and looked inside to align the plates with an icepick and open the lock. On the GTE housings you can drill a hole about the lock and knock the locking arm in and open the housing.

Russ Kirk

Some photos of the tools and process would be helpful.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

tallrick

The next time I find a pay phone I am going to take photos and video of the process of opening it. The GTE housings are much easier than Western Electric. All locks are fairly easy to bore out.

Jim Stettler

One method I have heard of is to use a hammer drill andyour smallest bit, chuck the bit with the point to the inside of the chuck. Press the bit firmly against the lock and hammer away.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is best if you can have the lock facing up. The theory is that many payphones used hardened screws and hardened housings. The hammer drill vibrates them loose.
I have never tried it, but I heard of good results. I would probably put a piece of metal over the lock in an effort to keep it usable.
Just some thoughts,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.