News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

It's been a while - "modern" TeleMatrix 2500E hotel room phone...

Started by twocvbloke, February 23, 2017, 01:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I had some hotel phones where they used hardwire cords with  "mousehole" fillers in the line and handset jacks locations. The hardwire handset cord is pulled thru the mod opening in the handset (no jack in handset). They did have a modular datajack on the side.  These were used in hotels  to help prevent telephone theft.  The mouseholes were made for "newer" generic  housing w/ thinner plastic. they were flat and didn't have the raised "ridge" like a WE housing or mousehole. They didn't fit WE plastics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have taken apart others where the line and data jacks are assembled  "jumped" together, w/ 1 set of leads going to the network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the faceplate retainer method.   Early 2500 housing had a small plastic "boss" at the top of the faceplate location, a small metal clip is screwed into the location. The clip holds the faceplate in, and can be released with a paperclip when the phone is assembled.
Later faceplates have a plastic "nub" at the top. The "nub" can be popped into the housing to hold the faceplate in. the later faceplates can be used with earlier housings.  I think most 2500 plastics still have the "boss" for the faceplateclip, even if it is never used.

Justb some Observations,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 25, 2017, 07:50:32 AM
Nope, that's where it's meant to be, let's just say, count from 1 to 9...  ;D

I have heard of 2500 set keypads being converted for accountants. Accounts use an adding machine/number pad  format. Just a matter of swapping keys and wires I think  (not all touchpads).
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

twocvbloke

It'd be difficult to swap the keys around in this phone to work like a calculator, it's a basic PCB with contact pads on the board & a rubber membrane keypad behind the buttons, but the buttons definitely can be put in the wrong order, confusing the idiot who put them back in... ;D

Jim Stettler

I think WE 35 touchpads can be converted to adding machine layout, The WE 35 can also create the 4th column tones. The 4th column was special purpose. The 4th column is typically seen on autovon sets.
slightly off topic trvia,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Owain

Quote from: Jim S. on February 25, 2017, 10:29:04 PM
The WE 35 can also create the 4th column tones. The 4th column was special purpose. The 4th column is typically seen on autovon sets.

And on an Intertel hybrid system that used DTMF sets with 4th column for features, and DC ringing.

twocvbloke

Seems I get to take apart the phone again as I found the missing plastic from the broken socket, didn't even notice it had arrived with the phone to be honest!!! ;D

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 27, 2017, 07:49:38 AM
Seems I get to take apart the phone again as I found the missing plastic from the broken socket, didn't even notice it had arrived with the phone to be honest!!! ;D

Thank god for crazy glue. LOL :)

twocvbloke

Quote from: Autonut on February 27, 2017, 08:09:20 AM
Thank god for crazy glue. LOL :)

Not got Crazy Glue, just Super Glue, but either way, they're both Cyanoacrylate...  ;D

Fixed, not my best work (mostly cos I stuck two fingers together in the process!!), but it's in one piece now... :)

And while I'm posting pictures, I have my Linksys PAP2T running off USB power (specifically a 10Ah USB battery bank), which is handy for a portable intercom... ;D

andy1702

I didn't know a PAP2 could run off USB power. Where did you get the cable to do that? Mine just came with a wall adapter.

Andy
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Officially they don't run off USB power, if you look closely at the picture, you'll see that I made that cable out of a scrap USB cable and a wire off a blown wallwart transformer, splicing them together to make a USB A to barrel plug cable, and as this PAP2T runs on 5 Volts with a max. current of 2 Amps, it's well within the scope of modern USB power adaptors and power banks... :)

I think there's also a 12v version (which would have been handy as I have plenty 12v supplies knocking about!!!) which wouldn't work without a boost converter to step the voltage up to 12v...

One thing to note is that you need to tie the data wires together to fool a modern USB supply into thinking the device was a fast-charge device so that it fires out the 2Amps as required by the PAP2T... :)