1 (0.9%)
12 (10.3%)
20 (17.1%)
25 (21.4%)
1953-1957
72 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Dan/Panther

I would almost guess that the night we had the conference call, that phone logged more air miles in one hour than it did in most of it's life. Considering we had calls from all over the world. So figuring miles of air travel per minute would add up to several thousand miles.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

closest route from Parsons T.N. to Anza C.A. is 1,859  :o
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
That's 6,692,400 air miles for the hour we talked, at 1,859 miles per second, figuring it took a second to get from you to me.
Considering a phone back in 1948 probably only talked across town and occasionally long distance, I think we exceeded the total transmission miles of the phone maybe several times.
D/P

paul-f

Air miles?  It sounds like you worked in the long distance billing department.   ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Paul;
Actually just arm chair calculations, with no basis whatsoever in real fact.
D/P

mr_a500

I've got a 2/53, 7/53 and 7/54. It seems quite easy to find a 53, but very hard to find anything earlier.

Dan/Panther

KeithB

Quote from: McHeath on September 09, 2010, 07:33:13 PMThe 49' is in a phone museum in Seattle. 
Does said phone museum have any web presence?  A link perhaps?

paul-f

Quote from: KeithB on September 26, 2010, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: McHeath on September 09, 2010, 07:33:13 PMThe 49' is in a phone museum in Seattle. 
Does said phone museum have any web presence?  A link perhaps?

An internet search for "seattle telephone museum" should lead you to the Museum of Communications.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

Here is the link.

http://www.museumofcommunications.org/

The last three years of the Northwest Telephone Collector's Show, held in the Surrounding areas of Seattle, we visited the museum.  Some others on this forum have also been there, like Brinybay and ae_collector.

Two floors in a currently operating telco facility.  The upper floor is mostly about switching and teleptypes, with several kinds of central offices that all work, and a couple of test boards and other various switchboards.

The lower floor is the display area of many, many phones over the years and more switchboards, pbx's and a display of outside wiring.

If you ever get to Seattle on a Tuesday, it is a great place.
-Bill G

cchaven

500 C/D dated 8/54...internal dates matched except for the handset elements

1954NE500

Got 1 very RARE 1954 Northern Electric SOFT Plastic 500 and 3 VERY RARE New-In-The Box 1954 Northern Electric NEVER USED SOFT Plastic 500's-very, very, rare. All 4 phones are black with a metal finger wheel.

mr_a500

Quote from: 1954NE500 on October 03, 2010, 06:58:33 PM
Got 1 very RARE 1954 Northern Electric SOFT Plastic 500 and 3 VERY RARE New-In-The Box 1954 Northern Electric NEVER USED SOFT Plastic 500's-very, very, rare. All 4 phones are black with a metal finger wheel.

New in the box, never used 1954 NE 500?? Yes, that is rare. (...and justifies the number of times you used the word "very")

Can I have one? No need to be greedy and hoard 3 of them.   ;D

Adam

My oldest 500: Almost!

Remember that 500 that I got from eBay today that I thought would be teal blue and turned out to be avocado green, and broken to boot?

Well, after stripping off the broken modular 500 shell, modular jacks and green 9C dial, guess what I was left with?  A really cool 500D base dated 3/53!

As you see from the pics below, unfortunately, the date on the base is partially obscured, but the network and ringer dates are also dated 3/53.

The base includes the very old style dial mounting bracket, and something I've never seen before, to allow the mounting of a newer style dial, a dial adapter plate which allows for dial alignment of the more modern dial with two little nibs near the mounting screws.

In addition, it has a paste-on label on the network, which I don't understand, because the markings printed below on the network itself are identical.

So, the thing was not a total loss!   :)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820