News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nippon Electric Co. Post War Japanese Desk Set

Started by Fabius, July 24, 2016, 12:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I bought this off of eBay. The seller says it was made during the occupation of Japan following the end of WW11. I believe he bases that claim on the one paper (last photo)  on the inside that has a 46 on it. I'm not totally convinced that indicates 1946. Several parts are marked NEC. Once I receive the telephone I'll post better pictures of the schematic. Does anyone have more information?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

In doing a search I have found information on this forum that this may be a Japanese OKI #4.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

This is a Japanese type 4-A set.  They were made by numerous manufacturers.  There is an old thread about these here: forum link.  They were developed after the war.

Larry

Jack Ryan

As others have indicated, it is a Japanese Type 4 that was prototyped in 1948 and went into production in 1949. It was the NTT's standard subscriber telephone and was made by several manufacturers including OKI. It was superseded in 1963 by the Type 600.

Jack

Fabius

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 24, 2016, 07:27:59 PM
it is a Japanese Type 4 that was prototyped in 1948 and went into production in 1949.

Jack

So the 46 stamped below the 4  -  A doesn't indicate a build date?

With several NEC parts maybe mine will be a NEC produced phone. And it's possible that this is an occupation era telephone since April 28, 1952 is when Japan's independence was fully restored,
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jack Ryan

The Type 4 was a joint development that was signed off by the NTT. I don't believe there was any production prior to 1949 so no, 1946 is not a production date.

In any case it does not seem likely that the NTT would be re-established and a telephone would be designed, tested and put into production inside 12 months.

Jack

Fabius

Received the phone today and it's a beauty. The back outside of the shell has a maker's mark. See 1st photo. Can anyone identify it? The handset has the NEC (Nippon Electric Co) mark.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Fabius on July 30, 2016, 10:34:17 PM
Received the phone today and it's a beauty. The back outside of the shell has a maker's mark. See 1st photo. Can anyone identify it?

I think that the logo was for Iwaski.  I have some things with that logo, and there is a post here: forum link with a phone with that logo.

Larry