News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Did the 552 P/U exist?

Started by JimHyak, February 26, 2017, 12:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimHyak

In the topic "Trimline Reference Information Sources" Paul-F throws out the line

"If anyone finds a 552 P/U (wall set with lighted dial) reference, or better yet a set, please post details and photos!"

DOES SUCH A PHONE EXIST?

I've often wondered why not. The plastics of a 554 (look inside) seem to support such a phone. I think all/most of the parts from a 500P/U would readily fit.  I'm curious as to why Paul would call it a 552? Was that a typo, Paul, or do you know something?

Was there a WE lighted dial phone prior to the Trimline? I've been told by a local Bell man that in the PacNW, if you wanted a lighted dial after the Princess was released, that's what you would get, NOT a 500P/U. He said the boss was not happy if he brought a 500P/U back from a job, and from his prospective the Princess killed the 500P/U. But what if you really needed a lit wall phone? Hmmm.....
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

WEBellSystemChristian

I don't think such a phone actually exists.

The need for the Mushroom was as a bedroom phone, where you could call someone in the middle of the night, without needing to get up to turn the lights on, or trying dialing blindly in the dark.

The 554 was primarily for use in a kitchen or main hallway, where you would presumably be with the lights on. A bedroom desk phone with a lighted dial didn't sell well; I can't imagine a wall version would do any better.

I would bet WE designed the 554 with just about every possible configuration the 500 had in mind; multilines, two line, exclusion, etc. I would guess they designed the housing with the idea that Bell might want a lighted dial for the 554, like the 500 already had as an option for 2 years by the time the 554 was in production.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

The only lighted-dial wall telephone that I recall is an Automatic Electric (I think) Navy(?) ship telephone.

Jim Stettler

The 552 P/U  is mentioned in the trimline article. I wondered about it as well. It may be a typo from the writer of the article, or it may be a real set.
I think a lighted wall phone would have a small niche market
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

The 552 P/U reference was in the ebay guide, How to Buy a Collectible Trimline Telephone.
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17182.msg182717#msg182717

I also suspect it was a type or mistake, but would be interested to hear if one actually existed.

After all, we never thought a 5302 with dial light existed until Harry sent us photos!
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4919.0   ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AL_as_needed

If such a phone were real and an option to order/have installed, wouldn't the plastic shell have some sort of mold mark for this?

Like the 500 desk sets and 554s, they have those molded in areas that could be drilled out for things like a line selector switch etc. If it were an available option id assume they would have made some sort of allowance for it. Although looking at the 554 shell I suppose the dial could be illuminated "up" from where the line selector switch would normally be.
TWinbrook7

JimHyak

I know there is a spot for the switch, such as is used on the 558. If memory serves me at all, I recall a spot upper left of the dial where there is a bit of plastic carved out just like on the 500, although I think the "real" purpose was for a dial blank retainer. I think the dial bracket can carry a terminal block (again, see a 558). I'll have to open up a 500U and a 554 or a 558 and have a look. The little clip on bracket that holds the light socket might even fit somewhere, but of all the parts that would be needed, that is probably the only one that would be unique to a 554P/U. Makes you wonder if it didn't happen at some point, BSP or not.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!