News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I got a Sceptre! BT 10001

Started by gpo706, September 09, 2010, 08:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Another bargain basement acquisition for my nickle and dime collection.

These go for 29,99 upwards, this was less than a fiver.

Its boring grey again, but looks super sorta late 70's futuristic, it looks like something that would be mounted in a desk in "Space 1999".

The pic is off the bay, the only one the seller provided, its a bit dark so sorry for it,  going to get a loan of a working camera soon (if i stopped buying junk, I could save up for one).

Here's the link to the Bible:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t10001.htm

Unfortunately its not a similarly named car - a Humber Sceptre, probably the nearest I will get to one of these mean looking cars...

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

McHeath

Ha!  Space 1999!  Now there was a blast from the past that I've not thought about in years.  I had a model of one of their shuttle things, only it was HUGE, three feet long when made up.  It was made of mostly drinking straws and card stock printed cut outs for the capsule parts.  It sat proudly next to my BattleStar Galactia model and P-40 Warhawk.

Meanwhile this is a nice retro looking phone from the late 60s to early 80s era.  (at least that's how it looks to me date wise)  And gray is actually growing on me, having been following the gray phone thread.

The car is sweet as well.  I know next to nothing about Brit cars, we watch a fair amount of BBC telly but I can never identify 90% of the cars. 

bingster

Humbers and the big Hillmans were awesome.  I'd love to have one, too.

Five pounds for a sharp looking phone is a great deal.  When were these produced?  It looks like it's from the 1980s.
= DARRIN =

Tribune

Nice phone, and awesome car too. As a kid I'd mock things like Humbers and Morris Minors as the vehicles driven by doddery old folks in hats. Now I'd kill for something like that!
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on September 09, 2010, 11:04:58 PM

The car is sweet as well.  I know next to nothing about Brit cars, we watch a fair amount of BBC telly but I can never identify 90% of the cars.  

Nice looking sedan.  Here's the left-side drive American version:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

gpo706

LOL!

Swap you the phone for the motor Tribune.

Seems to be created about as late as 1984.

Then I need a dolly bird to sit in it...

McHeath

Love the hair!  My own hair was up real high in the mid 80's as well. 

The description of the phone is pretty much what all current day landline phones feature.  There is still a market for corded phones it seems as Wal-Mart still is carrying a few models, one of which is almost exactly set up like this Sceptre model.  They also carry a modern Trimline with the at&t logo on it, though it's a far cry from the old days.

It's funny how little I miss all those features since I've returned to using classic phones, I don't need a screen to see the number, don't care about memory or redial, don't find the cord a problem. 

gpo706

I just picked this up from the delivery office today, its errr not what I thought it would be, its looks huge on the webpages but its actually very petite, its 8 inches by 5 1/2 and stands all of 2 1/2 inches high, its TINY!

It looks like a shrunken adding machine.

Anyway takes 4 x AA batteries to power the display , which works fine.

I'm taking pics tomorrow, I'll compare it with a standard 700, it looks like a credit card sitting next to an elephant compared with them.

gpo706

big, or....

gpo706

small?

Little and large

gpo706

full frontal display:

gpo706

I found the instruction manual on Sam Hallas' site,

I'll post here, or here's the direct link -

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/po_info.htm

bingster

Rather sleek and stylish for as many functions as it's capable of.  Very interesting.
= DARRIN =

finlover

That Humber Sceptre reminds me of a '58 Edsel with the horsecollar grille sectioned out.  That's a good looking car!  I'll bet your BT 10001 was a futuristic phone in its day.  It's nice that your LCD still works.

Wallphone

Scot, The Sam Hallas link that you posted is very good
(> http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/po_info.htm <).
There is a ton of info there including how to repair the U.K. dials (near the top).
Dougpav