"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Diagram for WE 500 w/ 425E Type Network

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 20, 2014, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

I am working on a 1964 Yellow 500 with the earlier dial, (didn't know they made the 7 type in 64) but more specifically with the 425E net. I am having troubles finding the schematic on TCI, and I was hoping somebody could direct me to the correct one.

Thanks,
Ben

HarrySmith

I would imagine it is the same as any other 500. Have you compared to the others listed here?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

I have the same phone, same year Ben and the network in this picture is the same schema for my phone.. My dial is a 7C and the month-year are 3-64

PS: I can be wrong but this shematic is good and work for my phone

WesternElectricBen

Contempra and Harry,

I think you guys are both right, but my phone just "hmmms" so I was wondering if I had the wiring wrong.

I guess, I should suspect the line cord is bad? I treated it with some bleach and goo gone, but I kept the conductors away from the solvent, so I wouldn't think that had killed it.

Ben

poplar1

The 425E has one additional screw terminal, labeled C, next to GN. On the 425B, there is only a soldered hookswitch wire without a screw terminal at that location, since many of the hookswitch leads are soldered rather than spade-tipped in the older 500s.

Try temporarily moving the white hookswitch lead from F to RR to bypass the dial.

The diagram doesn't show any of the hookswitch leads. Only the Green, White, and Slate hookswitch leads can be moved on a 425B
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

do you mean David : slate-brown
                             : slate-red
                             : slate-black
from the switch ?

poplar1

Quote from: Contempra on January 20, 2014, 07:32:35 PM
do you mean David : slate-brown
                             : slate-red
                             : slate-black
from the switch ?

For the 425B, which uses the older color code,  I should have said
Slate-green (on L1)
Slate-white (on F)
Slate (on L2)

are the 3 hookswitch wires with spade tips. (Slate-red and slate-black are soldered hookswitch wires.)

The hookswitch colors are as follows for a 500D:

L1--(Green) [Slate-Green]
L2--(Yellow) [Slate-Yellow]
L2--(Slate)   [Slate]
F---(White)   [Slate-White]
C---(Brown)  [Slate-Brown]
GN--(Red)    [Slate-Red]
R---(Black)   [Slate-Black]

(Later color code) [Old color code]
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Thank you, guys!

Unless I get some time to work on it tonight, I will finish trying to repair it next weekend, as I am a bit busy with school work. Then I will check back!

As always, I appreciate your help,
Ben

G-Man

Ben, with an early 7A dial and a 425E network I suspect that your set has been refurbished somewhere along the line however both are compatible and should not deter you from  being able to restore it to an awesome looking yellow 500-set.

Here is a short blurb on the 425E network which shows that other than having a screw [C] terminal rather than soldered, it is the same as 425B network.

WesternElectricBen

Thank you,

You could be right about it being refurbished, because it does have the hard center fingerwhele. 

I'l make sure to read that up.

Ben

unbeldi

The way WECo usually draws the 425 network circuit is very compact and easy for illustrating connections, but it is very hard to actually understand this way its functioning in the telephone circuit.

Here is my circuit diagram of the 500D with the 425B network.
Still not a trivial task to understand, but I think it's probably the most logically arranged diagram one might find.

Of course there are many ways to draw a circuit based on which aspect of the functioning of the circuit is emphasized.
This one tries to separate the various signal paths from left to right for
(a) ringing on the left, C4A, C1
(b) hookswitch HS1&2, dial pulsing DP, with RF suppression and loop length compensation, C2/R1/V1
(c) primary windings P1, P2, of the induction coil
(d) transmitter circuit, TX, R2
(e) audio balancing, side tone, V2, C3, C4, R3,
and finally
(f) receiver RX, and hearing protection switches, DS, HS3

WesternElectricBen

Okay,

I am back at it, I double checked wiring and switc hook wiring, and I still get nothing. I then tried to bypass the dial, as instructed by poplar1, and still the hmmmmm sound.

And by the way, it does not have saudered switch hook leads,as all 7 have connecters.

Any ideas, do you think the either of the cords could be at fault?

Ben

WesternElectricBen

The Village Idiot, Strikes again! It turns out that on my testing lead, the red wire was broken, so after I fixed it, it works.

Sorry, for confusing you guys.. But, I thought I would show you some after pictures, even though I forgot the before ones. The lighting isn't that great, but if you stay tuned to my YouTube channel, I will later make a more in depth video of it.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetroVintageItems27

Ben

andre_janew

I will be getting a 1962 WE 500 without a dial and an inoperable ringer within the next few days.  I guess that would make it a 500D.  It is my hope that there is nothing seriously wrong with it and that maybe a simple wiring change or fixing a broken wire will make the ringer work.  I bought it on eBay and paid $.99 for the phone and $17.90 for the shipping and handling for a grand total of $18.89.  I have no idea what type of network this phone will be using.  If it is a 425E type network, then the wiring diagram on this page will help me.  If not, I may have to look elsewhere.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on November 24, 2014, 06:56:53 PM
I will be getting a 1962 WE 500 without a dial and an inoperable ringer within the next few days.  I guess that would make it a 500D.  It is my hope that there is nothing seriously wrong with it and that maybe a simple wiring change or fixing a broken wire will make the ringer work.  I bought it on eBay and paid $.99 for the phone and $17.90 for the shipping and handling for a grand total of $18.89.  I have no idea what type of network this phone will be using.  If it is a 425E type network, then the wiring diagram on this page will help me.  If not, I may have to look elsewhere.

A 500 with an apparatus blank, instead of a dial, i.e. a manual 500, is a 500C.  The dial version is 500D.   A 500D set that has the dial simply missing, I would call a parts-500.
I can't tell which case is yours, but manual 500-sets usually fetch a few bids above 99c.

A 1962 set should still have a 425B network. It is virtually identical to the E version, which came about a year later.
It is quite possible, that the ringer is wired for grounded ringing which is simple to change by moving a single wire.

Here is a picture of my 1962 500CR-3.