"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Kind of Scam is This?

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 26, 2019, 11:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

www.ebay.com/itm/372673615067

The seller otherwise looks to be legitimate (though his spelling could be better).  This radio should have sold for under $100.

Larry

tubaman

Bizarre - all bidders with zero history.  Definitely looks like a scam.
???

RB

and for 6k???
whut the fish?
How do they expect ANYBODY to bid on that??

countryman

I wonder who'll pay the ebay fee for that one?

Dan/Panther

I've been collecting antique radios for about 15 years. I have never seen a single radio regardless of brand, model, or condition, that sold anywhere near that.
Then another shows up, so some sucker can say WOW ! another chance at a $6000.00 radio.
Shill bidding at it's worst.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

jsowers

Dan, look at this auction for a restored Philco Radio Bar that sold at almost twice the amount this table model brought, $12,500, two days before...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-Radio-Bar-RadioBar-Restored-Art-Deco-Located-in-ohio-/222628965090?oid=254069785103

Radios do sometimes reach the tens of thousands. It was evidently a BIN and the shipping alone is $1,145. Don't anyone go fiddling with the URL because the above one shows the "SOLD" banner over the picture and the shortened one doesn't. Otherwise it's hard to tell it was sold.

Now about the Crosley auction, I can't tell what it is. The seller should have rules that only bids from anyone with more than 10 positive feedbacks will be accepted. That would end whatever this was. I bet payment was never received for it.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

There are some rare radios which can sell for several thousand dollars, such as the Sparton art deco mirrored sets in great condition, but this Crosley set is nothing spectacular and shouldn't have sold for more than $100 ($150 perhaps).  Something very fishy happened in this auction, and I am wondering what the participants were trying to accomplish.  Is it some way to defraud the seller or perhaps to defraud Ebay?  If something like that started happening to one of my items, I would cancel the listing before it ended.  I do not believe for an instant that anyone intended to pay $6K for that radio.

Larry

Dan/Panther

I was referring mainly to table radios. The radio bar selling for $12,000.00 I do not believe reflects the traditional value of those models. Finding one original and complete is also rare. The Sparton is an exception. But an exception that is FAR from the norm.
So let me rephrase that a bit. Of the Collectible Table top vintage tube radios, it is EXTREMELY RARE to find one selling for anywhere near The asking price for the Crosely set.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 05, 2019, 09:47:20 AM
Money laundering?

I don't think so.  From what I have heard, the sellers in these auctions never received any payment from the "buyers".  Someone suggested that it was some sort of harassment or bullying.  Ebay has reportedly refused to take any action.

Larry

Key2871

I am always Leary of bad spelled listings with a lot of bids.
I've been down that road before, almost got sucked onto it, because after the auction was over, the seller sent me a message saying the original buyer didn't pay, do I want it for my bid price... I declined because he miss spelled common words.
KEN