News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ebaY's "Mr Helpful"

Started by Sargeguy, May 11, 2009, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Really?  I didn't even look at the subset.  It doesn't even go with the phone.  I think I will ask the seller to contact the buyer for me and see if he is willing to sell it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Then again P should probably pay for this other mislabeled 302:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140319388941   ( dead link 02-15-21 )

It looks like a 251.  I couldn't resist.  That's an SC ringer and handset I believe.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Wow... $43 for what's basically a little pile of parts.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Actually that's a North Electric handset, which used W.E. F1 & HA1 elements.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

Quote from: bingster on May 12, 2009, 09:05:22 PM
Wow... $43 for what's basically a little pile of parts.

Oh yea of little faith!!!  Tis a rare gem indeed!!!

I realize that not all collectors share my enthusiasm for obscure 300 series sets, but I love these old independent telco frankenphones.  250 series even better.  I just hope that is straight line ringer and not a harmonic ringer and that the inside of the housing is stamped with the mounting code.  I talked to some guys at Enfield who just toss the non-standard 302 parts when they encounter them, but I think that the old wacky, virtually-unusable-as-wired phones are gaining in popularity. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AET

I hate Mr. Helpful  >:( I'm always shopping for the 'deals' and have really had my eye out for a cheap 302, but NOOOO Mr. Helpful can't let that happen. 
- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: Sargeguy
The secret to getting a good deal on eBay is to bid low and early and then high and late.

What is the reason to bid low and early? I always only bid in the last few seconds and try to keep all emotion out of it, with a strict and thought out maximum bid.

As for asking revealing questions, I try to avoid any questions unless absolutely necessary (rarely). If I do ask questions I try to keep them to a minimum, especially if they might be posted. The standard questions of condition and looking for dates. But I try not to drive the price up.

And unsolicited advice for something I'm not even bidding on? Why would anyone do that? Does it make them feel smart? Sounds kind of pitiful, actually. :P

Tom it seems harder to find a cheap 302 these days but they're still out there, with patience. (Well, as long as the evil Mr. Helpful doesn't come calling... >:() Maybe get one with a repairable crack?  I've stopped buying 302s personally, as I'm looking for other less common phones of interest.

Sargeguy

I place the lowest possible bid on something I am interested in so I can keep track of it.  Sometimes the initial low bid is enough.  If there is any further interest in it I bid in the last few seconds with my maximum.  This can be tricky, especially with a dodgy DSL connection.  I watch items I am either interested in the final price or haven't made up my mind about.  I don't understand people who complain about sniping.  Why should I give a competing bidder enough time to outbid me or jack up the price?  The only question I ask is "can you send it in a flat rate box?"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

I guess I don't understand why one would need to "keep track" by placing a bid, instead of just putting it on the watch list and not bidding until the end like I do.

The reason I don't bid early is because placing an early bid can draw attention to an item from other bidders, who can do a search for items with only one bid on them, I guess thinking that someone may have found some rare gem that nobody else has discovered yet. I'm not sure about that.

Yes, I've heard the complaints about "snipers" too, but as we know it's perfectly legit and common practice.  Cold, cruel, calculating and heartless perhaps, but it works for me and makes my heart beat a little faster in the last few second I must admit. But I never feel bad if I get outbid, because I've already set my reasonable maximum, as you say.

BTW, maybe someone who sells phones on Ebay could on purposefully write a vague yet not misleading description, then when the evil "Mr (or Ms) Helpful" comes a-calling, give them a helpful little talking to ourselves. >:( ;)

AET

I always just watch it until the last minute to bid.  And my only questions are about cracks, etc, or dates.

Also, I'd be plenty happy with a 302 even with a crack in it, as long as it wasn't a real attention grabber.
- Tom

HobieSport

Seems like a decent inexpensive 302, maybe with a little easily fixable crack and some dial number wear would be pretty easy to find seeing as they're all over Ebay. I wish you happy hunting, Tom.

One of my 302s, an all matching dates 1948, was had for $20 (plus shipping) that has a little chip on the base. The chip and dial wear doesn't bother me at all.  I don't want my phones to look too new.

AET

Thanks Matt!  I was all excited recently, I saw 2 302's mislisted for like 25 bucks, but Mr. Helpful stepped in!  They went for a bit more than my pocketbook can handle.  For me, 20 bucks is a lot of dough.
- Tom

Sargeguy

I bought a matching date 1938 302 for $25 on eBay in December.  I usually don't pay more than $30 including shipping for a 302.  The "market" for 302s fluctuates but persistence pays off in the end.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AET

And I'm willing to wait, my folks are on my case for wasting my money on phones.
- Tom

Dan/Panther

I have al limit I will spend on a 302 and lately they have been going for about 5 to 10 dollars over my limit.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson