News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Addiction Strikes Again (Leich 700)

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 23, 2010, 09:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300396096161.  I couldn't resist it because it's a bit unusual, and it was fairly cheap.  Unfortunately, it has a frequency ringer, but it looks like a C4A might fit it.  There is a brochure about these phones at http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/PDF/1953_700_SERIES_LEICH_BROCHURE.pdf.

Larry

Craig T

Looks real clean, heck the bottom looks like new. Gotta love getting it for opening bid too.

Dennis Markham

Nice phone Larry.  Just to illustrate how prices have come down on some phones, I bought one of those about 2 years ago and paid $65 for it, plus shipping.  And it has a crack in it (which I didn't know at the time).  Nice purchase.  I haven't ever refurbished mine.  They are kind of neat looking with that hook that curves up from the back.

foots

I saw a phone like that in the movie "Brubaker" starring Robert Redford.
Like Dennis said it has those hooks curving up out of the back. If I'm not mistaken, you can reposition the dial and use it as a wall phone.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

LarryInMichigan

These phones were designed to be used as either desk or wall phones.  My Norwegian Electrisk Bureau phone is the same way.  I have recently seen a couple of these on ebay with the dial positioned for use as a wall phone and the seller's description stating that the dial is upside down for some reason.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived this afternoon, and the inside of the shell and the dial bezel, which are soft plastic, are MOLDY.  They are soaking in bleach now, and I have cleaned the base, network, and dial.  There was a wiring diagram (only slightly moldy) inside the phone.  The AE dial has "8-29-62" scribbled on the back with a pencil.  I hope to post pictures soon.

Larry

Jim Stettler

I have a couple of the Leich convertables. My 2 favorite ones need a bit of work.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

Those are a couple of top-notch phones there. I have not seen a blue one before, nice phones Jim!

Jim Stettler

Thank-you Craig,
The blue was an accidental ebay find. I found it with a day and !/2 to go and won it for less than $100 delivered.
It needs a new cord and maybe one day Vern P. will trade me his NOS KE cord. It also has deep scatches that need to be delt with.

The clear was just a very distorted housing. The previous collector said he was able to bend it into better shape w/boiling water. I have used very hot tap water and have gotten it to almost fit a base. I think it will fit once I bend it out at the dial ring. It is an occasional project.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Nice Jim.  I really like that dark blue Leich.  I have never seen one of those either.  Great find.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 12, 2010, 12:12:45 AM
Nice Jim.  I really like that dark blue Leich.  I have never seen one of those either.  Great find.

Thanks Dennis,
At the time I found it I didn't think the convertable came in any color but black (2- years ago).

I would like to get some more of the colored convertables.
I am also interested in a matching AE80, and the SC 1543, I currently have a WE 500 blue and KE 500 blue (might as well add a clear SC1543 to the wish list as well).
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Since we are talking about convertables and SC1543 telephones, I thought I should mention that they made "crab claws" for the SC1543 that makes the phone into a convertible. They made these in black and the color palette as well.

FYI,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Here is a SC1543 "Crabclaw". All you do is replace the "plungers" w/ the crabclaw. You can  use it as a desk or wall w/ the crabclaws.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Larry,
I have been meaning to tell you thanks for the brochure, "Thanks".

I downloaded it when you first posted it , (and I was looking for the camera). The camera turned up in a box of bubble wrap early tonite. (Hence, the convertable photos)

BTW, Do you have an "Oslo" convertable yet? Since you like foreign and convertables, you need a foreign convertable w/ a backwards dial.

They made them in black and I think White. Phoneco used to paint pinstripes and designs on them. They are from Norway. Remco has info on his site about the sets.

Jim
You live, You learn,

LarryInMichigan

Jim,

I really like the blue phone.  The bold blue color really stands out.  You should be able to fix the deep scratches by carefully filling them with super glue, after removing any foreign matter, and sanding.  

I do have a convertible Oslo phone, about which I posted: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1899.15.  I have fun showing it to friends and neighbors and asking them what looks unusual about the dial.

I think that it is interesting to note that, while your Leich convertibles have standard 4.25" dials/bezels, mine has an older type 3" AE dial (AE40 type) which is inserted into a 4.25" soft plastic bezel (a bit like a 5302).  The face plate of the dial is black with white triangles, instead of the more common white with numbers.  The handset on my phone has a WE T1 transmitter and U1 receiver.

Larry