"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 80 Dial not spinning

Started by b3tamax11, August 31, 2017, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3tamax11

Hello,

I picked up this AE Model 80 recently, and when I got it the dial was really slow and sticky. I tried oiling it first but it did not improve the dial speed. I took apart the speed governor and the brake drum and cleaned them because that seemed to be the problem area, however after reinstalling these pieces I cannot get the dial to turn at all anymore. Should I try stripping the whole dial and cleaning it as in  this thread http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1049.0 or is the speed governor broken?

HarrySmith

The part in your picture does not appear broken. I suspect it was not installed properly. If you follow the thread you posted for reassembly it should work fine. You can also send the pieces to Steve Hilsz in Arizona, he will clean, lube & calibrate it for only $6.00!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

look at the governer wing to the left.notice the spring part is bent outword.it should match the other wing.wings closer to shaft faster,wings farther from shaft and closer to cup slower.adjusment information is on line

twocvbloke

I'd agree with the bent governor weight issue, it looks to be bent out far too much, which is most likely the cause for the dial not returning, reasonably easy to fix with patience, but getting an accurate dial speed would be tricky, so may be worth sending it off for repair... :)

TelePlay

I've had some luck adjusting the bearing point screw and locking nut but only when the dial was one or two pulses out of spec. And those dials were working fine before playing with that screw. Since there is no speed adjustment as with the 4H/5H dials, I just assumed that screw and locking new were intended to be used for that. I might be wrong.

b3tamax11

Ok, so I had another try at it, and I fiddled with the governor wings until they were both straight and even. I noticed when I pushed the brake drum towards the governor the dial will spin properly and at the correct speed, so I put a small piece of plastic in between the brake drum and the bracket it is held onto with the dial. This made it run properly, so I bent the bracket slightly towards the governor and now the dial spins fine. Thanks for the help!