News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need I.D. on subset

Started by southernphoneman, August 17, 2013, 06:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

can someone please tell me what model this subset is and whether it is sidetone or anti-sidetone, thank you

New England Tel.

It is a sidetone subset and is most likely a Western Electric 534A.

Bob
-Bob Archambault

southernphoneman

Quote from: New England Tel. on August 17, 2013, 07:56:43 PM
It is a sidetone subset and is most likely a Western Electric 534A.

Bob
thank you, that's the answer I was hoping for, southernphoneman. :)

Birdman115

It's a WE 534.  I have two of them.

poplar1

Here's how to tell if it's a 634 or 534:

If it has a 101A induction coil, then it is anti-sidetone (634A).
If it has a 146B induction coil, then it is anti-sidetone (634A).

If it has a 46 or a B induction coil, then it is sidetone (534A).
The 46 never has screw terminals but a 46B does.

The rest of the story: the one pictured was apparently converted from a 533A wall phone: Notice where there was a slot for the transmitter cup and for the
switch hook.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

New England Tel.

Quote from: poplar1 on August 18, 2013, 02:44:38 PM
The rest of the story: the one pictured was apparently converted from a 533A wall phone: Notice where there was a slot for the transmitter cup and for the
switch hook.

Great catch there! Man, my eyesight is going to hell for sure. Didn't even notice that!

That photo that you put up was not in the original post, where did you get that?

Bob
-Bob Archambault

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on August 18, 2013, 02:44:38 PM
Here's how to tell if it's a 634 or 534:

If it has a 101A induction coil, then it is anti-sidetone (634A).
If it has a 146B induction coil, then it is anti-sidetone (634A).

If it has a 46 or a B induction coil, then it is sidetone (534A).
The 46 never has screw terminals but a 46B does.

switch hook.
I have my candlestick hooked up to a 302 base with a 101A induction coil, does that classify as anti-sidetone? thank you, southernphoneman

poplar1

The 302 Base *is* Anti-Sidetone. However,  20AL, 40AL, 50AL and 51AL are not. There are not enough contacts in the hook switch and not enough wires in the cord.

I noticed that a while back Dick Marsh sold a bunch of #46 induction coils on Ebay. I checked, and, sure enough, he's using a homemade bracket and 101A induction coil to convert his sidetone 534A subsets to anti-sidetone (634A equivalent). I hope he has some more for sale soon. I can't believe how many of the 46 induction coils were scrapped in order to convert the subsets to anti-sidetone, both in the WE shops and in the field.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on August 18, 2013, 04:07:52 PM
The 302 Base *is* Anti-Sidetone. However,  20AL, 40AL, 50AL and 51AL are not. There are not enough contacts in the hook switch and not enough wires in the cord.

I noticed that a while back Dick Marsh sold a bunch of #46 induction coils on Ebay. I checked, and, sure enough, he's using a homemade bracket and 101A induction coil to convert his sidetone 534A subsets to anti-sidetone (634A equivalent). I hope he has some more for sale soon. I can't believe how many of the 46 induction coils were scrapped in order to convert the subsets to anti-sidetone, both in the WE shops and in the field.
thank you poplar1,southernphoneman.

southernphoneman

I am trying to hook my 40AL candle stick with a 3 conductor cord to this 534 subset , can someone give any pointers? thank you southernphoneman

dsk

If it is a W.E. no 46 coil, it should have approx 14 ohms between 1 and 2 and 9 ohms between 3 and 4.
These 2 windings should be the only 2 windings.
This is a coil mostly used in booster circuit. (Sidetone)

dsk

New England Tel.

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 21, 2013, 03:25:18 PM
I am trying to hook my 40AL candle stick with a 3 conductor cord to this 534 subset , can someone give any pointers? thank you southernphoneman

Sure...

Red wire to R
Green wire to GN
Yellow wire to Y L2

-Bob Archambault

southernphoneman

Quote from: New England Tel. on August 21, 2013, 06:07:03 PM
Quote from: southernphoneman on August 21, 2013, 03:25:18 PM

Sure...

Red wire to R
Green wire to GN
Yellow wire to Y L2

ok-I tried this connection, but what happened was an open phone line,any suggestions?thank you, southernphoneman.

New England Tel.

OK, in order of ease I would try...

1) Check continuity of the No. 46 inductor (~14 ohms from 1-2, ~9 ohms from 3-4)

2) Open 40-AL, check that wires are connected to appropriate terminals:

Red - R     Green - GN     Yellow - Y

3) Check continuity of the mounting cord wires.

Not trying to sound insulting, but L1 & Y L2 of subset are hooked to a known good phone line, correct?

-Bob Archambault

dsk

To test the phone:
Jut hook up green and yellow to the line, don't use (tape if needed) red.
The phone should work, but its not right! (If the phone doesent work, we have to start to repair that.)
If yes, the phone should work at the subset. (if the subset is OK)

dsk