News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay item #293487465090

Started by Whitcrane76, February 26, 2020, 10:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

Am I missing something?  It's a great phone, but it's in terrible condition.  Where is the money?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293487465090

twocvbloke

I'm often wondering the same about a number of items I've seen on ebay for obnoxious numbers, one of them being CRT monitors for various retro computers, either the asking prices, like this one, are way too high for a piece of tat, or the bidding goes nuts for something that is just basically a TV without a tuner, ebay has certainly generated a market of profiteering on things that just aren't worth all that much... :(

HarrySmith

Some people think that anything they pull out of a barn or a basement that is old is worth a lot of money just because it is old.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Whitcrane76

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 27, 2020, 06:01:43 AM
I'm often wondering the same about a number of items I've seen on ebay for obnoxious numbers, one of them being CRT monitors for various retro computers, either the asking prices, like this one, are way too high for a piece of tat, or the bidding goes nuts for something that is just basically a TV without a tuner, ebay has certainly generated a market of profiteering on things that just aren't worth all that much... :(

I agree, but that isn't the asking price, that's 17 bids.  Somebody is actually thinking it's worth that.  I don't get it. The case, although what's there is nice, isn't complete, not much to salvage from the receiver, wiring is roached. I don't know what it is.

Doug Rose

Seller listed it for $150 which is reasonable for Pre Western American Bell equipment. Patent dates on side are very desirable. This is out of my knowledge base, but I would have picked it up at a yard sale for $150. Except for the damaged OTR, it seems like it is in decent shape to make a very desirable display phone

At over $800 a few collectors see gold in them thar hills....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on February 27, 2020, 07:13:13 AM

I agree, but that isn't the asking price, that's 17 bids.

Ah, missed that bit, but, yeah, it is a bit on the nutty side, a case of more money than sense I suppose...

Desert Phone Guy

The "gold" is a VERY RARE 242 transmitter arm with terminals on the arm at the top and bottom of the base.  Would not be surprised to see this go for $ $1,400 up. 

Steve  Cole

HarrySmith

AHA! All it takes is a bit of knowledge to see the $$$
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Vern P

Yes this has the VERY RARE arm and looks to have a flat 7 digit FP.  Is the rec. cap from a long pole ?  Or just a early pony ?  I have asked the seller for better photo, but he is happy with what is showed.

When I was a very new collector I had a chance to buy one of these Fiddel backs in 100% and from here in Salt Lake City, by the exchange name.  I had just got another fiddle back, so I gave the lead to another new collector, he got the phone.

A few years later we both learned how rare this fiddel back was.   He would not sell it to me, but I was happy that a phone from SLC stayed in SLC.  After he passed the family keep the phone, but moved it out of state.
Vern

Desert Phone Guy

The receiver on this phone is a "transition pony" receiver.  Unfortunately it is broken.  This particular cap will not fit on other pony receivers, but it WILL fit on a WE longpole.  A transition receiver recently sold on ebay for around $180, if I recall.

Steve Cole

Whitcrane76

kleenax

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on February 29, 2020, 02:50:39 PM
The receiver on this phone is a "transition pony" receiver.  Unfortunately it is broken.  This particular cap will not fit on other pony receivers, but it WILL fit on a WE longpole.  A transition receiver recently sold on ebay for around $180, if I recall.

Steve Cole
I do cast replacement parts for the Transitional Pony shown in the photos. They fit perfectly.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

That's a Western Electric TYPE 98 with a 242 bracket arm.  It looks complete except for the shelf, which can be swapped from other fiddlebacks. This was a good price for that phone. This one sold a few years back for $2850
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

I'm glad you folks have brought reason to bear on this.  I was ready to chalk it up to artificial stimulation of bidding by confederates of the seller.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke