News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another polish to use.

Started by Greg G., November 20, 2012, 12:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Turns out Anita is sensitive to the smell of Avon Skin So Soft, the polish I've been using and highly recommended by Doug.  It does have a very strong fragrance, but it was minimal once applied, I could only smell it if I used the phone, and then only barely, but Anita goes into sneezing fits.

So, I looked at the ingredients, turns out mineral oil is the main ingredient.  Food grade mineral oil has a lot of different purposes, used as wood polish, particularly food prep areas (aka "Butcher's Block Oil") and it also has a, uhm, "medicinal" purpose. 

I picked some up at Walgreens and tried it on the receiver of my AE Hotel phone, works great.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

davidbholcomb

Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on November 20, 2012, 12:40:00 AMand it also has a, uhm, "medicinal" purpose.

s'only baby oil, nothing to be shy about... :D

Mineral oils are usually used to fill things like electric radiators, or act as part of a buffer in larger animal vaccines, aswell as keeping wooden cooking utensils clean and shiny, so, it's a multi-purpose stuff, though there are all kinds of websites out there saying it's bad for you and will cause cancer (if you believe such twaddle), but I think in very tiny quantities it's fine for most purposes that require a light oil to do something... :)

Greg G.

Quote from: davidbholcomb on November 20, 2012, 01:15:04 AM
Does it make it feel greasy?

I wiped down the phones I have out just yesterday, so I went around and handled them today to try to get an unbiased impression.  I'll be honest, it does a little bit, but not that bad as long as you don't use too much.  As I'm typing this, I've been handling the AE receiver I just repaired, the shine  seems to hold up to handling.  Most of the phones I use it on, although they function, aren't work horses anyway.  I would prefer to keep using SSS, it seems to go on better, but Anita is sensitive to it, so I have to find a substitute.  I wonder if SSS comes in an unscented form?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 20, 2012, 02:07:54 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on November 20, 2012, 12:40:00 AMand it also has a, uhm, "medicinal" purpose.

The label says it's used as an intestinal lubricant for occasional constipation. 
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Brinybay on November 20, 2012, 01:20:51 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on November 20, 2012, 02:07:54 AM

The label says it's used as an intestinal lubricant for occasional constipation. 

It is not digestible, so it passes right through the system.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on November 20, 2012, 01:20:51 PMThe label says it's used as an intestinal lubricant for occasional constipation. 

Good thing that all I have to do to get things moving is pay a visit to KFC and have a few too many hot wings.... :D

Greg G.

To really get an unbiased impression, I polished it again with what I felt was a reasonable amount, (which means using it sparingly, it doesn't take much) and gave it to Anita and asked her what she thought.  As she was handling it, I noticed her looking at her hand, and asked her if she thought it was too greasy, she said no.  Then she did something I never thought of, gave it a towel test.  She took a clean towel and used it to wipe down the receiver then looked at the towel.  Nothing on the towel, so I guess it passed. 
- Mike Row
e