Aladdin No.23 Loxon mantle lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, July 29, 2015, 04:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

NorthernElectric

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 21, 2016, 08:49:10 AM
Well the Loxon chimney arrived today, needed a bit of a clean, but has polished up nicely, and of course fits like a glove after re-adjusting the tabs on the gallery, had to light it too just to make sure everything was all working... ;D

Some before & after pics:

I picked up a chimney for mine on Friday while on a road trip to look at a phone.  I decided to go with the heelless, despite your advice, because I intended to use the same chimney to test both my Aladdin and my Rayo.  I got the gallery adapter at the same time and tried the chimney in it at the store.  It seemed to fit snugly so I went for it.  Since then, I made inquiries with my local lamp guy, and he said it's OK to use the Aladdin chimney on the Rayo.  But, he carries chimneys for the Rayo that are more reasonable priced, so when I get the chance to go there, I will get a couple.

I am wondering if you just needed to adjust the fingers on your gallery adapter.  When I tried the Aladdin chimney in my Rayo, it did not fit snugly, despite all the information I found that said both lamps should use a 2-5/8" chimney.  I assumed that maybe someone had tried to fit a standard 2-7/8" chimney into it and opened up the fingers a bit.  So I adjusted mine by wrapping a piece of string all the way around so that the ends crossed then pull both ends. This compressed all the fingers evenly and made the chimney fit great.  Maybe this would work with your gallery adapter so you could use the heelless chimney as a spare.
Cliff

twocvbloke

I did try pinching the adaptor's fingers closer together, but that seemed to push the chimney back up, opening up air gaps where they shouldn't have been as the lamp has a regulated airflow which can be easily messed up... :)

Besides, I like the look of the lamp without the adaptor fitted, as it was originally intended to look... :)

twocvbloke

Days are getting shorter, temperatures are getting lower, and certain Aladdin lamps are getting lit already... :)

Been mostly using it for the heat output though, rather than the light (and yes, I've not broken the current mantle, so doing well so far!! Have been very carefully adjusting the frame of it though to get it properly centred over the flame), but today made the biggest mistake you can make with one of these, aside from being a butterfingers with the mantles of course, I left it unattended due to being distracted by my cat who is having toilet troubles...

It flared up, didn't get any pictures of it though as I was too busy trying to get the smoke alarm to shut up (ears are still ringing even now), the flame got too high, sooted up the mantle & chimney (thankfully only on one side of the chimney), and smoked the room out hence being deafened by the smoke alarm, managed to turn it down and let the carbon burn off safely, but, it goes to show, do not leave these lamps unattended!! If anything, put the flame down low so it can't flare up, or put it out entirely, nothing bad happened this time, but, it's a good lesson to learn!!

Though I did cut my finger opening the smoke alarm to pull the battery to silence it, so wasn't entirely injury-free!!! :o

19and41

I hope to fuel mine up and light it soon.  It seems like there are always things occurring each weekend to tend to.  I have to cut a new thread for my oil drain on the car, replace it's coolant overflow bottle, then send it next door to get the heater core replaced.  I at least have all the things necessary for the lamp, including a good camera to witness it's lighting.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I keep lighting mine for an hour or so at a time, supplements the heating system's lacklustre efforts nicely, and even outshines (pardon the pun) the cheap gas heater I have somewhere (probably stored out in the shed now!), which has its own issues with running in a cold room or outbuilding with the gas cartridges getting too cold for the liquid to turn to gas, making it a bit useless when it's cold!!  ;D

19and41

My cheap heater is a catalytic heater and a few propane cells.  I should have better with an all electric house.
— Arthur C. Clarke