News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does anyone know if this would work?

Started by CDK, November 11, 2017, 11:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDK

So this was a while back probably some months ago don't know when, So I happen to come across a very large Western Electric mechanical bells, I think they were for a fire station, but do you think that if I bought it would it work with a telephone network hooked up to a phone and use it for a very loud ringer?

AE_Collector

There were loud extension bell sets that directly worked on the phone line and there were others that needed an additional power source as well as the phone line connection.

Pictures would be good!

Terry

stub

CDK,
        My AE ringer with two 6" bells works great on POTS and on ATT wireless.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

You guys must have very spacious houses.  My wife wouldn't tolerate one of those, and I have a couple of them.  But I'm still interested in learning how to rig them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

When you open up the ringer with the huge bells, you could look for some signs, does it have a capacitor? does the ringer motor have 2 coils? Each coil has often stamped an ohmic value, this should probably have a total of 600 to 3000 ohms. 
If no capacitor, it may still be OK, it just has to be put in some place, if it has only one coil, but it has an ohmic value on that range it is OK.

You may test it if you have a magneto telephone, just connect and crank, if it rings, it should be possible to use it.

dsk

stub

Greg,
         Here's mine-     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Ktownphoneco

Here's 2 pages from N.E. T-8 Telephone Catalog showing the ringer Brinybay posted of a Western type 592 extension ringer.   According to the description, the 592A has a condenser/capacitor, a bias spring. and the 592B doesn't have either a condenser/capacitor or a bias spring.     I'm assuming the Western version of this ringer, would be pretty much the same.   Click twice on the pictures to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

TelePlay

mazda_matt

I have a brand new in box NOS one on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/122807232144

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)