News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson wall phone with bell disconected please help me make it ring!

Started by BigD, January 06, 2012, 12:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigD

Hello:
I have a Stromberg Carlson wall phone, it is modular so you could tell the date of manufacture better than me.

It is just a beautiful work of art, white with some fading and very white spot where there was a sticker below the handset. I would never part with it.

The bell (ringer) was disconnected and I have three lose wires and have tried about 10 different combinations. Picture below.
Three wires:
•   Black
•   Gray
•   Gray with a red line

Can you help, please? Please...

Thanks in advance
Dave

rdelius

the slate and slate-red wires should connect across the A and K terminals .It does not matter which color to each. Leave the black wire alone unless it connects to the ringer coil.If it goes to the coil, try connecting it to L2
Robby

BigD

Thank you!
It didn't work, I tried all combinations of your post with the exception of the black wire going to L2. L2 already was 'full' with two wires going to it.

darn, I thought for sure it would work! Any more advice, Please!

Dave

Kenny C

Judging by the size of that clapper it is a frequency ringer and will not work on todays lines. You'll need a SL (Straight Line) ringer. The SL ringers are plentiful so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Here is a link to a wiring diagram for an SC 500 style phone:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=2102&Itemid=2

There are 4 wires from the ringer attached as follows
Red = L2
Black = L1
Slate = K
Slate/Red = A
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"