News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My SC 1543

Started by andre_janew, April 11, 2015, 01:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

I think the main difference between Stub's ringer and mine is that with mine the bells are separate and with his the bells are included.  I have included a couple of pictures to show what I mean.

andre_janew

Have you ever thought that the handset of a SC 1543 looked narrow enough to fit in the cradle of a WE 302?  If so, you're right!  The handset is just sitting on the 302 and is not connected to it.

stub

andre_janew,
                       Here's mine .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

mdodds

Now that's a cool looking 302 :) I bet that would cause some head scratching if you didn't explain it.

Mr. Bones

302's also look quite attractive with the 1243's handset; I bought one quite cheaply on ePay a few years ago.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8582.msg94533#msg94533

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

andre_janew

I think stub's 84A ringer may actually work on my SC 1543.  Does anyone else think so?  I'm will to try it.

andre_janew

I recently mentioned that I had to replace the handset cord due to the wires being cut.  Here are some pictures of the handset cord that came with it.  I have no idea why someone would cut the wires like that.

andre_janew

I got the ringer today.  I installed it and it was a tight fit.  More importantly, it works!

andre_janew

The wiring diagram I downloaded mentions a standard dial and a spotter dial.  What is the difference between the two?  I'm asking because I'm not sure what kind of dial I have.

rdelius

The spotter dial is also known as a SATT dial.Your set does not have this.

andre_janew

I think I have one of those on my Leich phone.  It works very well!

andre_janew

Whenever I try to dial out with this phone I always seem to get a recorded message of some sort.  For example, one time I dialed my cell phone and got a recorded message telling me I needed to dial 1 plus the area code plus the number.  When I dialed it that way I got a recorded message telling me I didn't have to dial it that way.  One time I got a recorded message telling me my service wasn't equipped to handle the equipment I was using.  Strange, considering that I have other rotary phones that work very well with the service I have.

I have come to the conclusion that the dial is most likely messed up.  I have removed the dial and converted this phone to a dial-less manual one.  I have a jumper wire between terminals 1 and 3 because I don't have the proper strap.  I'm using a WE 95B dial blank.  This may or may not be the proper dial blank to use, but it looks nice anyway.

andre_janew

I bought another SC 1543.  This one I bought for parts.  It is a bit older than the one I bought earlier. 
The handset is a bit different.  The dial is a bit different, but it works.  I have decided to use the dial and the case of this phone on the one I got earlier.

andre_janew

I have purchased a replacement handset cord since my last post.  The cord was for a WE 300, but it also works nicely with the handset pictured above which I now use on my SC 1543 instead of the one it came with.

andre_janew

The dial got to the point where it wouldn't work properly, so I replaced it with an Automatic Electric dial.