"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with Ringer Operation Partial Restoration- Kellog Phone

Started by Voxman, January 05, 2019, 08:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voxman

Hello everyone,
Glad I discovered this website because I'm working on restoring to some degree an old Kellog wooden wall phone. Unfortunately,  most of the insides were either gone or messed with. Previous owner had converted it to a battery operated transistor radio...yuck! That's said, they removed the magneto, batteries, and for some unknown reason, removed the electromagnet wire on the bell ringer.
I'd like to restore it so the bells ring when the handle is turned but do not know what voltage a working bell ringer of my type would be? If I manage to find a used working bell ringer to install , I need to know what voltage and current the bells will operate on. I've already designed a handle mechanism that will make/break the voltage (...yes, unknown at this time) so all I really need is the advice on voltage/current requirements for the bell circuit. Also thought about using a more modern bell ringer but not sure if I can modify something like that to physically ring the existing bells.
Any advice or ideas are very much appreciated. I will attempt to post a few pictures so everyone will know what model phone I have.
Thanks!
Gary

RB

Hi Gary.
Welcome to the madness!!
Somebody did a FINE job of strippin that phone.
A couple things.
Bells run on AC. about 90-110 volts, but at 20 htz.
If you send AC at 60 htz, it will ring, but at a very undesirable tone."sounds like poo".
You will want a magneto in there to do that. they are available on ebay.
You can use a 3,4,or 5 bar, doesn't matter, even a magneto from a different mfg will work.
Then there is the bell...yours is toast! you can find a replacement on ebay.
You can hook the bells directly to the magneto, and it will work.
Now, if you  wish to pursue it further, you will need 3 more things.
A working transmitter, a working receiver, and an induction coil, all available on ebay.
I have attached a BASIC schematic here for reference. it is very close to what you are workin with.
Also, there is a wealth of info here, and some smart folks too.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Voxman

Wow! very grateful for your response and information you provided...exactly what I was searching for!
Unfortunately your info confirmed my fears that I wasn't going to be able to get this phone to work the way I had hoped. I'm not ready to spend more on obtaining the necessary parts to get the bells to ring using the crank, magneto, and bell assembly. Since I have no plan to ever connect it to a regular phone line, I guess I'll keep looking into installing some elaborate electronics to ring the bells. Wish me luck!
Thank you again for the great information.
Gary

Babybearjs

Gary, there is also www.oldphoneworks.com and www.phonecoinc.com that sell parts. I had the chance to buys one of those monsters once, but passed on it due to the size and weight... good luck with your restoration!  John
John