News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Want to get into collecting, where is a good place to start?

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, April 04, 2018, 06:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

A good place to start looking - the internet, auctions, yard sales (boot sales), second hand/junk shops, shows, local ads.

Learn as much as you can as you go along, this site has already taught me so much (doesn't help the fever though, just makes it burn hotter!).

This is how it works for me:

Decide on what you want to have in your collection, or if you want to have a theme (e.g. payphones, certain makes, or certain colours etc). Don't get tempted to buy phones just because they are cheap or to up the numbers owned (it took me decades to get my first 10). Not everyone has the same taste as to what they collect, buy what you like and would like to have on display in your home.

As time moves on and your tastes change, sell what you don't want in your collection anymore. For me, less is more BUT I think it is a little difficult not to get attached to particular pieces in a collection. I have a very old GPO Candlestick, I don't like Candlesticks now (I used to), but it was the 2nd phone in my collection and it is a part of the history of my collection, so I keep it.

I've recently seen quite a few coloured phones, some of them worth more than their asking price. I leave them alone - I might turn a small profit but I don't know how fast they might sell and I don't want to end up with lots of phones I don't particularly like/want.

Of course we all make mistakes, a month or so ago I came across a couple of nice (to me) styled French green phones (the fever took me over). I took them home - but I don't collect green phones, what was I thinking! So they have to go, and now I'm on the lookout for the same phone in ivory or black.

Learn your stuff so when you come across something you like you won't get caught out by what I call 'Phoney Phones'. Recently I bought in haste a poor quality copy/junk Bakelite phone (it slipped past my usually alert radar) that really has seen better days. No good for parts - I doubt even a lamp converter would look twice at it (and that's saying something). So I guess I'd better slap myself on the wrist there and add 'don't buy in haste' too.  :(

And of course, let's not forget the sensible head which says leave it, leave it.. only for us to get home and decide it really would be a nice phone to add to the collection only to find it has now sold. Have done that too!

Enjoy the search, the finds, and learn by the mistakes (that last bit might be the hardest).

.....and above all, have fun!

:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Dan/Panther

Years ago when I worked for Warner Lambert, they had a series of short films on what makes people what they are, once they reach adulthood. The premise was, MOST of our lifelong interests were based on input we experienced, BEFORE the age of 5. I was skeptical, but looking back, almost every single interest I have, I can find my first exposure was before the age of five. It is very uncanny to look at ones interests over the years, and recall the FIRST exposure to that interest.
I would suggest start where you can if possible to recall phones indoctrination when you were five or younger.
For me this was NOT just phones, but almost EVERY single hobby or interest I have had over my lifetime.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Fushigi Ojisan

I barely remember anything five or younger!   The only one that jumps out at me is anime, mostly because we watched the dubbed Japanese cartoons growing up.  On the other hand, seeing Walt Disney's animated "Robin Hood" about age 5 probably made me a furry.

For paystions, it was a lot later.  I recall starting college up near Baltimore and taking a trip to nearby historic Ellicott City (which was revitalized after Hurricane Agnes into and arts/antiques/dining destination).  Looked in a shop, and saw a gorgeous chrome-bodied three-coin paystation.   I was like "I want one" but decided chrome was not my thing.   

I actually found this forum because I was looking for info on tenite restoration, and this is where all the experts reside.  By luck I noticed the paystation forum and decided to introduce myself.

The Lancaster show sounds awesome.  When is it?   I'll be the guy with more money than brains.
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

mentalstampede

The Lancaster show is the TCI spring show. It's June 8-9 in Lancaster PA. more details are here: https://www.telephonecollectors.org/shows/2018/Lancaster/index.htm

The ATCA annual show happens August 3-4 in Shipshewana, IN.

Quote from: Fushigi Ojisan on April 10, 2018, 01:43:57 PM
The Lancaster show sounds awesome.  When is it?   I'll be the guy with more money than brains.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Sigmaz

I'd love to attend the Lancaster show.
I'm not looking to register to display anything so I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to come in before the doors open for the "public".
But since it's only a couple of hours away it's an easy day trip.

Fushigi Ojisan

To bump this thread a bit...

Whats a good, "entry-level" three-slot paystation?  Looking for functional extension phone here.
Fushigi Ojisan

rdelius

Biege AE tend to be somewhat cheaper. Watch out for sets with repro parts and or no keys or locks Compare what you see inside to known old sets.

kleenax

Quote from: Sigmaz on April 14, 2018, 10:25:22 PM
I'd love to attend the Lancaster show.
I'm not looking to register to display anything so I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to come in before the doors open for the "public".
But since it's only a couple of hours away it's an easy day trip.

You are MOST WELCOME to attend the Lancaster show, whether you are a member of TCI or not.
You may not know, but it is a national show that is sponsored/funded by TCI, or Telephone Collectors International, as just one of the benefits for it's members. The reason that we (TCI) ask that the "public" (non-TCI members) wait until a slightly later time to enter is because it would be somewhat unfair to allow the "public" in the same time as the paying club members. If you would like to enter at the same time as members, all you need do is to join TCI, AND, of course pay the registration fee. This fee is required by all, regardless if you display or sell, since it isn't free to put one of these shows on. TCI membership is only $20/yr, and gives you many benefits, including monthly e-zines of "Singing Wires", a top-notch monthly newsletter. You can look over the membership form, and pay via PayPal here: https://www.telephonecollectors.org/autoform.php
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RotarDad

Regarding entry-level 3-slot pay phones, the best thing to do is consider what you ultimately want.  If you buy a cheapie, but then later decide you want it to be "correct", you may end up spending more in the long run replacing parts.  Learning as much as you can before purchase is your friend here.

The first decision is Western Electric or Automatic Electric.  If you don't have a preference, then AE will likely be cheaper and easier to find with a network installed and ready to use as an extension.  If you prefer WE, most models required an external subset (network + ringer).  One exception was the 236G which had the net & ringer mounted internally.  A complete 236G is the way to go for a WE extension phone in my opinion.

Beware, there are lots of cobbled junk payphones on EBay.  My first payphone was an EBay buy that looked very nice on the outside, but was missing a lot inside.  Much time and effort later (and buy/sell of parts phones), I have a complete 236G.  Not the way to go if you can help it......
Paul

Haf

RotarDad,

I know exactly what you mean by completing a projekt phone. Here's a picture of my new 50G only missing some minor parts- but will get them fast, easy and cheap on ebay..NOT ;)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

RotarDad

Haf - That's a dangerous way (from a budget standpoint) to acquire a payphone!  There certainly are people here and elsewhere who can help, as you know.  That flat magnet relay looks pristine....  all those parts look very sharp.  Love the buffalo nickels......
Paul

Fushigi Ojisan

Quote from: RotarDad on April 17, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
Regarding entry-level 3-slot pay phones, the best thing to do is consider what you ultimately want.  If you buy a cheapie, but then later decide you want it to be "correct", you may end up spending more in the long run replacing parts.  Learning as much as you can before purchase is your friend here.

The first decision is Western Electric or Automatic Electric.  If you don't have a preference, then AE will likely be cheaper and easier to find with a network installed and ready to use as an extension.  If you prefer WE, most models required an external subset (network + ringer).  One exception was the 236G which had the net & ringer mounted internally.  A complete 236G is the way to go for a WE extension phone in my opinion.

Beware, there are lots of cobbled junk payphones on EBay.  My first payphone was an EBay buy that looked very nice on the outside, but was missing a lot inside.  Much time and effort later (and buy/sell of parts phones), I have a complete 236G.  Not the way to go if you can help it......

Lets go down the list...

I don't have a fixed preference of AE vs WE, but the 236G sounds pretty sweet, any pictures?

In this case, I would give the edge to functionality/reliability over original parts.  To use an automotive term, I would be fine with a "resto-mod"  with my only real preference that it not look *too* clean externally.   Honest wear is okay, abuse is not.   

I think you pretty much scared me off eBay, those apparently are "rat rods" (aka assembled from junk that may or may not work okay).   

Also, tan is totally fine.
Fushigi Ojisan

mentalstampede

Quote from: Fushigi Ojisan on April 19, 2018, 06:13:39 PM
I don't have a fixed preference of AE vs WE, but the 236G sounds pretty sweet, any pictures?

In this case, I would give the edge to functionality/reliability over original parts.  To use an automotive term, I would be fine with a "resto-mod"  with my only real preference that it not look *too* clean externally.   Honest wear is okay, abuse is not.   

They all look pretty similar externally. The things that make a 236G special are the internal components.

If you just want a phone that looks good and can be made to work as an extension, your search will be a lot easier; it's finding one that has all the coin control parts present and functional that is more challenging. Many of the payphones available on ebay have had those parts damaged or removed.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

Here is a picture of a nice 236G. Belongs to one of the club members. Mike's Vintage Payphones. Found it on Google.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fushigi Ojisan

Just a bit of clarification, I do want *some* of the coin control bits, so I can hear it ding and it can double as a change bank.  I don't need the coin collection system to interface with the network.   Can also live with reproduction door and lock.   

I like that button on the upper right side, my AE doesn't have it.   

Fushigi Ojisan