"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 12/62 564H+

Started by Pourme, December 23, 2017, 10:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

Not exactly a auction, so if it needs to be moved, please do so.

I usually find prices on ETSY to be way out of line but you never know so I continue to look from time to time. I'm not a big fan of key phones either. When I saw this 12/62 WE 564H+ for $5 + shipping, I couldn't jump in fast enough! Total was about $18.00.

Now I'm getting excited about my 1st key phone, particularly excited that it is a older dial phone. Don't really care if it works or not but if it does it will be a bonus!

If someone has a clear panel for this one that isn't cracked please DM me, I'd like to replace it.

It should be here the day after Christmas, I will post pics then.

Merry Christmas!
Benny

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AL_as_needed

Great find at a great price!

I was not a big fan of key sets either until i got a WE 565HK. It was missing a bit inside, but once I was able to wire the keys so the buttons would illuminate and added a spokesman speaker.... made my desk  look very official.  ;D

Love the early 60s 500s, something about the dial and the sounds they make gives them a very particular feel. Good luck working on it and Happy Holidays!
TWinbrook7

Pourme

Thanks Al...This will be a new experience for me...

Merry Christmas!
Benny

oldguy

Come on Benny, your not talking to your wife. Once you have a key phone, it won't be long before you will have to have a 551B Key Service Unit. Then more key phones :-) Nice phone at a great price.
Gary

Pourme

It's an advanced form of Phoneitis!

I got it bad....no cure!
Benny

AL_as_needed

Just wait til you start paging people in the house from your desk with the keyset....  ;D
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

The clear plastic designation holders are very often missing or pieces are broken off on AE and WE Key sets. So unless someone thought to keep quantities of them off of phones going for scrap or has boxes of new ones, you won't easily find a replacement. The crack won't be as obvious once you get a white paper designation under it. If you do get a replacement don't toss this one!

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice buy! I saw that one, but I already have several 564s.

Try to spread the crack slightly, and add a drop of Acetone in there (without letting your finger touch the surface, or anywhere else the Acetone spreads or drips), and close the crack shut. You wouldn't believe how invisible the crack becomes once the plastic is fused back together. I've done that for several clear fingerwheels also made of Lucite, and often the only visual reminder of the crack is a slight line in the surface.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Thanks for the tip, Christian...I'll try that.

Terry, I thought it might be a piece easier to find...Thanks!

Benny
Benny

david@london

benny -

here's a pdf of a scan of a designation card you could print out (below).
like Al, i wasn't much of a fan of these keysets in the past, but they're now definitely on the 'would like' list.

Pourme

Thanks, David...

It will be here tomorrow!

I appreciate it!

Benny
Benny

Pourme

~

It came in and so far I have cleaned it up but haven't tested it to see if it works. All dates are matching '62, mostly 12/62. Although the case bears a '62 date it does smell like soft plastic and responded beautifully to the denatured alcohol treatment, no sandpaper required! I used steel wool on the dial plate and that worked well.

I'm short one bulb (where do I find that?). I treated the clear plastic key panel with acitone which repaired the crack but it still looks bad. If anyone has one of those I'd be interested, although I hear they are quite rare to find.

I'm very pleased so far with my $5.00 phone and it displays really well. I now find myself looking closely at key phones on EBAY.I feel sure although this is my first, it most certainly will not be my last!

Edit: BTW what are those taped off wires likely to be?

Benny
Benny

Pourme

More pics...
Benny

AL_as_needed

Now I am not an expert by any means....So please anyone correct my ignorance  :P

Based on what I learned from my keyset, the taped off or "insulated and stored" (as the BSPs like to say) wires are for additional functions that may not have been required by the phones original user, and how the key system was set up to ring each extension. My 500 L/M for example, while not a keyset, has extra terminals and wires mounted under the dial for different functions under an 1A2 key system.

Are you missing a bulb or is it burnt out? Mine is missing a bulb under the hold or disconnect key and I think this was intentional upon install.  The bulb socket is there however and I assume this was to allow for the hold button to blink or light up when someone was on-hold if the system required that.

Lastly....and this is my redneck engineer side showing.... regardless of the original intent, you can easily wire the buttons to illuminate when depressed and keep the phone wired as a standard 500 C/D set. Mine is wired as such and makes for some fun while im on the phone. I can "transfer" calls to several corporate departments within the confines of my desk  ;D or my spokesman. Great conversation piece either way. Yours is looking great BTW, it has cleaned up well and looks handsome with the dial card in place.

TWinbrook7

Pourme

The explanation of the taped off wires sounds logical.

The bulb is missing, although it probably won't be used unless I try to wire it to light for display purposes.

Thanks for the tips!

Benny
Benny