News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just won a Uniphone!

Started by finlover, February 06, 2010, 10:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Here are a few "after" shots of the Northern Electric Uniphone I won a couple of weeks ago.  It was in nice shape basically with the usual little scuffs and scratches here and there.  The bakelite on this phone has more of a matte finish than the AE 40 I restored recently, but it is uniformly black with none of the brown substrate showing through.

Two things I didn't like were the thin '60s handset cord and a plastic number plate which had a font that looked too modern and it was printed off-center.  So I tracked down the correct porcelain one along with a nickel plated fingerwheel for a little extra panache.

At first I thought the cords were undated, but upon closer inspection the line cord was dated '55 and the handset cord '63.  Because the phone itself was from '54, I figured the line cord was original.  Luckily, I was able to use the black coiled cord that came with my '55 202 Continental, which I recently replaced with red cloth cords (photos coming soon).

I really love the interesting lines of the Uniphone.  It may not be as graceful looking as a 302 or AE 40, but it has a unique style that gives it a real presence.

finlover

a few more shots:

Craig T

It is a beauty Finlover! Nice touch of bling with the nickel plated dial too. I like the cords, they look awesome. Just excellent all the way around.

finlover

Thanks, Craig!

I didn't know how I'd feel about this phone until I saw it in person.  Now I think it's one of my favorites.

AET

Not that it's a surprise anymore, but our friend Greg worked his magic once again!
- Tom

finlover

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on February 21, 2010, 02:42:56 AM
Not that it's a surprise anymore, but our friend Greg worked his magic once again!
Thanks, AET,
I know I'm predictable, but at least it's not another 500!  ;D

Doug Rose

Greg,,,it certainly doesn't get any better than this. Absolute Perfection! ......I can see why its one of your favorite phones. Great job...Doug
Kidphone

McHeath

Fabulous job!  The Uniphone is a curious looker to me, it's not what I'd call attractive but it certainly is striking.  You notice it right away.  Is that date on 1966 on the bottom a refurb or date it was made?

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Greg!  Great addition to your collection.

Jester

I know it's been said above, but this phone looks GREAT, Greg!! :D  I really like the way the angular handsets look against the covers on these phones.  Considering how many times these phones were recycled & refurbed while in service, it's likely that your handset  is much older than the rest of the phone--I'm not aware of the NU being made in 1954.  I'm fairly certain NE dropped their in house design & started using F type handsets after WWII, but I can also see them recycling all usable parts in their refurbs from this time.  Again, that turned out great!
Stephen

finlover

Quote from: McHeath on February 21, 2010, 01:03:38 PM
Fabulous job!  The Uniphone is a curious looker to me, it's not what I'd call attractive but it certainly is striking.  You notice it right away.  Is that date on 1966 on the bottom a refurb or date it was made?

Thanks, McHeath!
The dates on the inside are mostly early '50s.  The case is stamped '54, the dial and receiver element '49, and the ringer and transmitter capsule '51.  The handset isn't dated unfortunately, but I bet it's from the '40s.  The underside is stamped SHOP '66, which is when the '63 handset cord it came with was put on I'm guessing.  Who knows which parts are original, but as long as the phone looks period, it's fine with me. 

Now I'm hankering for anther one in "walnut".  The one that recently sold on eBay was a little rich for my blood right now, especially without the NU handset (which I think really makes the phone).

finlover

Quote from: Jester on February 21, 2010, 02:00:28 PM
I know it's been said above, but this phone looks GREAT, Greg!! :D  I really like the way the angular handsets look against the covers on these phones.  Considering how many times these phones were recycled & refurbed while in service, it's likely that your handset  is much older than the rest of the phone--I'm not aware of the NU being made in 1954.  I'm fairly certain NE dropped their in house design & started using F type handsets after WWII, but I can also see them recycling all usable parts in their refurbs from this time.  Again, that turned out great!
Thanks, Jester!  That means a lot coming from a Uniphone afficionado like yourself.  I'm sure you'll agree that the NU handset is a major part of the appeal.  If this phone hadn't had one, I wouldn't have gone for it.

AET

Sometimes predictability is a good thing, especially when it comes to making phones into the masterpieces they once were, or maybe even better than new.

Quote from: Kidphone on February 21, 2010, 07:45:00 AM
Greg,,,it certainly doesn't get any better than this. Absolute Perfection! ......I can see why its one of your favorite phones. Great job...Doug
- Tom