"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary DIAL half on / Half Off

Started by tommycam, August 20, 2016, 07:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommycam

Hello again,

I have a problem buying reclamation projects.

I bought a phone for $5 figuring I can take a swing and fix it.  The dial is half on and half off. I can't take it off like usual with a paperclip.

I don't know how to proceed. Can I use a screwdriver and try to wedge it off.

A photo should be attached.

Thank you
Tom

Victor Laszlo

The FINGER WHEEL is the part that is causing the problem. (Just so we are using the correct terms)  Patience is required.

You need to try to rotate the finger wheel CLOCKWISE, while pressing down (towards the body of the phone) gently, until the finger wheel seats itself back where it started. The finger holes must line up exactly with their respective locations, and the wheel itself must be parallel with, and close to, the number ring.  It seems that from your photo, the wheel has been turned quite a bit off normal, unless the dial mechanism itself is in an off normal position. You might want to remove the finger stop during this repair, to prevent any other binding of the parts.

Then try to release the finger wheel again, this time using a sturdy paper clip that has enough strength not to bend or deform as you press downward to release the finger wheel tab.  As the release tab is pressed down, turn the wheel clockwise until all the tabs become clear of their respective grooves in the wheel.

These later dials were notorious for exhibiting the exact symptom that you describe.  The ultimate method is to use a small amount of anger and rip the wheel off the phone, and then bend the tabs back where they belong, assuming the subscriber ain't watching.

Since finger wheels are not a rare item, if you wind up cracking the slots in the wheel, just get a replacement and install it properly, after you ensure that the tabs are all correctly formed.

jsowers

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on August 20, 2016, 09:40:43 PM
These later dials were notorious for exhibiting the exact symptom that you describe.  The ultimate method is to use a small amount of anger and rip the wheel off the phone, and then bend the tabs back where they belong, assuming the subscriber ain't watching.

Victor, that's one of the best lines of instruction I've read in a long, long time. A small amount of anger is sometimes required. I think that's also the best advice for this particular scenario because that fingerwheel is way too far off to come back into position. Take off the fingerstop and give it a yank!
Jonathan

tommycam

Victor,

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm still working on it.

JSowers, I'll give an update soon.

Thank you again,
Tom