News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Glad to be here! "finlover"

Started by finlover, May 18, 2009, 12:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Alright, BDM, you asked so here goes.  My collection is made up mostly of 500s (SURPRISE!) with a few 554s for good measure.  Older phones are cool, but they don't speak to me like the 500s.  I have every color except Rose Beige, Mahogany Brown and Oxford Gray (my holy grail).  All are in mint condition.

The crown jewels of my collection are a '56 Mediterranean Blue 501, a new old stock aqua '58 500, and an all original '55 red 500 that I'm leaving to Jorge in my will.  The others are pre-'63 models for the most part because I'm a fan of triangular feet.  My only gold bottom is a Turquoise '67 500 because it was just too nice to sell.  The only non-W.E. phones are Stromberg Carlsons, a 500 and a 554 in lime green (love it!), and an orange 500. 

Tonyrotary

Welcome finlover. I must say you do fine work!

Bill Cahill

;D Welcome to the forum, finlover...
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

JorgeAmely

finlover:

How old are you?

Jorge
Jorge

HobieSport

Glad you're here too, Finlover! What took you so long? ;D

finlover

I'm 41 at the end of this month.  I'm no spring chicken anymore, but at least I still have most of my hair (for now). :)

Thank you again for the warm welcome, gentlemen!

Dan

Do you like the Miami DolPHINS? Please explain your name, thanks.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

finlover

My name comes from my love of finned '50s cars.  I have a '59 Oldsmobile, which isn't really very finny compared to the Cadillac from that year.

Steve

That's a nice Olds. welcome to the forum Finlover.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

HobieSport

Quote from: finlover
My name comes from my love of finned '50s cars.

You aren't alone.  There's quite a bit of discussion about good old cars on this forum.  Just do a search for "cars" in the "off topics" section. ;)

Bill Cahill

OH, MY!!  :o Nice car!!
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

JorgeAmely

That is some awesome color! I believe there is an AE34 or 40 with that color. Did you do the paint job?

Jorge
Jorge

finlover

Thanks, Jorge!
The color was called Burgundy Mist at Olds, Lido Lavender at Buick, and Royal Amethyst at Pontiac.  It is the original color.  I didn't dare do the paint work myself--I wanted it to look good!  Hard to tell from the photos, but it's a metallic color.

Is there really a phone this color?!  If so, I must own it!  My fantasy phone would be the '56 Lincoln color called Wisteria:

HobieSport

Yep, it looks kinda like an AE 34/40 in Orchid and Chromium. ;D

Here's a pic of an older Old's that a friend has, (sort of an AE 40 Jade Green), but the fins may not be par to Finlover's specs. ;)

JorgeAmely

There is a collector, Ray Kotke, who has a website and a business to recreate some of these old beauties from years gone by.

Check this place:
http://www.telephonecreations.com/prod01.htm

Scroll down and you will see an AE34 in Orchid color.

An original in good shape commands more that $2-3 thousand dollars.

Jorge
Jorge