"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 Meditarranean Blue 500

Started by TelePlay, July 07, 2012, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Anyone watching this?

Sold for $332 plus $15 shipping with only 7 bids. Winner seems to be newer to phones.

http://tinyurl.com/7aogrqj

Deal or no deal? Seems high.

xylenol15

I was watching that one, just for fun. I wouldn't spend that much on a phone, even if I did have that kind of cash to spare, unless it was a field trial set.  ;) I'm not sure what they usually go for, though? I see that one sold in April for over $100 less.

Dennis Markham

That definitely was no deal.  Not even sure if it was a fair price.  They used to go in the $200-$225 range.  But used-to-be's don't count any more.  I once bought one at an outdoor Antique Fair for $35.  THAT was a deal. :)

xylenol15

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 08, 2012, 12:12:31 PM
That definitely was no deal.  Not even sure if it was a fair price.  They used to go in the $200-$225 range.  But used-to-be's don't count any more.  I once bought one at an outdoor Antique Fair for $35.  THAT was a deal. :)

Hey, the seller didn't make them go that high.  ::) If I was the one selling it I would have been bemused but happy. Oh and Dennis that's quite a find; did you do any haggling?  :D

I'm trying to figure out my own game plan if I'm caught in a similar situation; it certainly can't be good to seem too eager!

JorgeAmely

No need to open old wounds.  :'( :'( :'(
Jorge

xylenol15

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 08, 2012, 01:07:52 PM

No need to open old wounds.  :'( :'( :'(

Oh dear, is a Med Blue 500 your dream phone? It sounds as though a running joke just came up.  :o

AE40FAN

I'd also love a Mediterranean Blue 500. Dennis how you find these treasures at such affordable prices is beyond me!

xylenol15

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 08, 2012, 03:37:01 PM
I'd also love a Mediterranean Blue 500. Dennis how you find these treasures at such affordable prices is beyond me!

It depends where you live, I think, and your willingness to spend time sniffing out finds.

AE40FAN

I live in central Connecticut.  Nearby antique/consignment shops usually have junk.  Not much for vintage electronics. 

Dan

Dennis and I were both lucky guys who were at the right place at the right time when we got our "blues."
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

I was fortunate to get that Mediterranean Blue 500 for $35.  But the one Dan found was multiplied by 10......a Dark Blue "Mushroom" phone.  For new-comers, here's a short blog entry I wrote about Dan's phone on my Vintage Rotary Phones site:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=433

That was not only the Find of the Month, it was the Find of the Year!

Quote from: Dan on July 15, 2012, 01:43:51 PM
Dennis and I were both lucky guys who were at the right place at the right time when we got our "blues."

xylenol15

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 15, 2012, 02:59:59 PM
I was fortunate to get that Mediterranean Blue 500 for $35.  But the one Dan found was multiplied by 10......a Dark Blue "Mushroom" phone.  For new-comers, here's a short blog entry I wrote about Dan's phone on my Vintage Rotary Phones site:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=433

That was not only the Find of the Month, it was the Find of the Year!

Quote from: Dan on July 15, 2012, 01:43:51 PM

Wow, what an amazing story!! I wonder why it was discontinued so soon, it's such a pretty color!   ???

paul-f

Quote from: xylenol15 on July 15, 2012, 03:03:58 PM
Wow, what an amazing story!! I wonder why it was discontinued so soon, it's such a pretty color!   ???

The short answer is that the Bell System listened to interior decorators who convinced them that consumer tastes in colors had changed and that they needed to adopt the new color palette that was announced in 1957.

http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#WE500

You can read a lot more about the history of 500-series colors in the TCI Singing Wires journal cover story from May 2009 that Russ Cowell and I wrote.  (TCI Members have access to all back issues.)

For a limited time, sample issues containing the article are available here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/singwire/samples.php
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan

Thay was my day in the sun. I am still mad I didn't buy the clear Ericophon for $75 that I saw there  about a year earlier .

It still is my favorite and I appreciated your story Dennis.

Paul, I still do not understand how the tastes changed in the color palette. If you look at automobile colors of the time, you will see a shift to lighter colored cars..... Just a theory ???

Mediterranean Blue> Light Blue

Rose Beige> Light Beige

Oxford Gray= Light Grey  (Grey phones really don't do it for me, but I need the oxford to complete my 500's)

Mahogany Brown >>> Newer chocolate browns later

The changes never made much sense to me.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

paul-f

I don't remember all the material I read while researching the article offhand, but recall that the Bell System did lots of market research - including focus groups of users and interior decorators when the 500 colors were initially released and after a few years.

They also had marketing programs going that involved things like joint promotions with department stores.  Local operating companies would loan demo sets to stores for use in window displays and even displays in room settings in the furniture department.  They also coordinated colors with fabric designers, so milady could coordinate the drapes, bedspreads and even her gowns to the phone color (especially for bedroom sets, which were a big push in the 50s, leading to the announcement of the Princess).

The feedback that came in from many sources influenced them to change the colors.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line