News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 520 - Unusual Find?

Started by jsbrugg, June 22, 2009, 09:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsbrugg

My preference lies with the 300 series right now, so $100 is well more than I'm looking to spend on a phone.  I thought this was a rather interesting phone.   Does anyone around here have a model 520 in their collection?

Craigslist posting - http://tinyurl.com/l4m2zn ( dead link 03-03-21 )

Jester

I have a 520, which is the WE modernized version of their Model 320 explosion proof wall phone.  I also have a 320, which uses cast iron body parts instead of cast aluminum.  There is also a 2520 touchtone version of this phone.  I am not aware of anyone still building these, but they are specialized and, last I heard, there was a place that rebuilt them for  industries that owned them.
Stephen

mienaichizu

looks like a very heavy telephone

Dan/Panther

When I worked for Bell & Howell, We made Magnetic Recording Tape, and used a lot of different explosive chemicals. We used those phone in high vapor areas they are called explosion proof.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

foots

I'd like to have one hanging on my wall. I've seen em pop up on ebay every so often, but are way out of my price range.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

The 520s come up every so often and when I first started collecting I really wanted one, because they are so big and different looking, plus the term "explosion proof" intrigued me.  But I'm just not so interested in them anymore.  I suppose that $100. may be a reasonable price though for someone who really wants one, as they don't come up that often.
-Matt

Jester

Something to consider with these-- with weight in the 30+ lb. range, you would want to reinforce the area you intend to hang it, especially if your house was built in the last 30 years.  Another interesting industrial set is the 325/525 call box.
Stephen

HobieSport

A 520 weighs 30 pounds?  Now I'm glad I didn't get one!  And I thought a metal 302 was heavy... ;)
-Matt