News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TCI Library and the vacuum tube papers

Started by Babybearjs, February 21, 2016, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I was thinking about something..... the W.E. website shows archival PDF's of the Vacuum Tubes that used to be used in the 300 and 500 series phones back in the 50's and I was thing, should not these papers also be part of the TCI library? I just restored and 306C that had a WE 372A tube in it and the library doesn't have any spec sheets on these tubes.... how many people know the Western Electric IS STILL in business? They may not make phones anymore, but they still do audio tubes!
John

poplar1

There's is a company in N. Georgia that recently got permission from at&t to use the Western Electric name. That  new company is not part of at&t, Avaya, Lucent, Alcatel, AT&T Technologies, AT&T Consumer Products, Advanced American Telecom, American Bell, or AT&T Information Systems.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Remco welcomes all additions to the TCI library. Scan anything telephone related (highest resolution possible )and send it in. This library is built from submissions. The ultimate telephone archive is Remco's self determined mission.
If you have any questions concerning submitting items , use the conact link on the TCI webpage.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jim S. on February 22, 2016, 07:37:57 PM
Remco welcomes all additions to the TCI library. Scan anything telephone related (highest resolution possible )and send it in. This library is built from submissions. The ultimate telephone archive is Remco's self determined mission.
If you have any questions concerning submitting items , use the conact link on the TCI webpage.

Jim S.
That seems to be true to the extent that nobody else can participate and improve things.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: unbeldi on February 22, 2016, 07:41:17 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on February 22, 2016, 07:37:57 PM

Jim S.
That seems to be true to the extent that nobody else can participate and improve things.
I am not quite sure what you mean.
Have you tried to contact Remco and offer your suggestions for improving?  Have you volunteered to do some of the work. Remco created a vast database of telephone info long ago . The TCI library was added to this database.

Many people work with  this site. I have many permissions that I don't use. If you want to volunteer, and try out tour improvements, I suspect all you need to do is ask. If you are wanting change without helping with the work, Then the going may be slow.

JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

the said company mentioned is not the one I was referring to. the website IS the original Western Electric, as I stated earlier, all they make now is audio tubes, but it is the original company, or whats left of it... anyway, thank you Jim for the info on the submissions. I'll send in some PDF's and see what happens.
John

Jack Ryan

Who are we talking about?
This? http://www.westernelectric.com/index.html

That WEB site is owned by Westrex Corporation.

Westrex Corporation is a manufacturer and marketer of electron tubes and other consumer and professional audio industry products under the Western Electric name.

Westrex Corporation has the rights to use the Western Electric name and logo.

As of 2013, the stylized Western Electric brand name survives as the trademark of the Western Electric Export Corporation (Westrex), a manufacturer of vacuum tubes now produced in Huntsville, Alabama

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2013/jun/23/western-electric-plugs-into-rossville/111503/

More Info:
http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/textpattern/index.php?s=trademark

So, the old Western Electric is dead. A new company is using the old logo.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 22, 2016, 10:35:51 PM

So, the old Western Electric is dead. A new company is using the old logo.

Jack

Yes, indeed.  I did some reading on the new company a few years ago, and the story is rather interesting. The high degree of precision and know-how required to make those tube today is remarkable.