Main Menu

Temporary: Public Service Announcement!

Started by DavePEI, January 05, 2014, 06:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Amen!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

hehe, yeah, I just had a look at the news about the weather across the pond, it's looking a wee bit nippy over there... :o

Contempra

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 05, 2014, 07:43:52 AM
hehe, yeah, I just had a look at the news about the weather across the pond, it's looking a wee bit nippy over there...

twocv, just a bit of a January cold snap. Then into a January thaw for a few days and then back to 2 more months of winter up here. They are saying the outdoors playoff game between the Green By Packers and the San Francisco (brrrrrr!) 49'ers will be the coldest in NFL history. 3:30 pm game time with temperatures expected to be -6 F at start of game to -10 to -12 by the end of the game.

I don't buy into windchill but the local TV bobble-heads love it, hyping -30 to -50 F deadly cold windchill temperatures. I've got to work in the stuff tomorrow so I'll dress for -15, the real temperature.  8)

DavePEI

This is actually the warmest weather we have had since December 1. Last week, temperatures were below -24 c. for most of the week with high winds. We have been averaging 3 major storms a week, and December snowfall amounts this year are 160 cm., as compared to last December, in which some 60 cm. fell. The oil truck came today, and when he left, by then a whole lot lighter, the driver was grinning from ear to ear. We weren't. Go away winter!

This week's weather includes a brief warm spell tomorrow, something we have not seen since the beginning of December. Along with that, comes freezing rain just to make more of a mess! Along with that, more snow.

QuoteWarnings
3:57 PM AST Sunday 05 January 2014
Freezing rain warning for
Queens County P.E.I. continued

An extended period of freezing rain is expected tomorrow.

This is a warning that an extended period of freezing rain is expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system over the U.S. midwest will track across the Great Lakes tonight and will intensify as it tracks into Southern Quebec tomorrow. This system will push a strong warm front across the region tomorrow. An extended period of freezing rain is likely ahead of this warm front over the island beginning tomorrow morning before very mild air behind the front changes precipitation to rain in the afternoon.
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

The problem with your extra cold weather over there is it's been pushing a lot of stormy weather our way (strong winds, heavy rain, lightning, hail and maybe a little snow), so we've been having a pretty poor time of it, it's been too warm (and wet, and windy) for this time of year... :-\

I think I kind of jinxed the country by buying my winter boots though, should have bought them earlier in 2013... ;D

Phonesrfun

I lived in a large house in Seattle that had an oil furnace a few years ago.  Seattle has relatively mild weather for its Northern position.  Even with the mild climate the combination of the house size, its age and the price of oil ate me alive.  No wonder the oil delivery guy is smiling.   :)

-Bill G

TelePlay

Dallas, Texas is at 15 F this morning. Most of the rest of us, a bit colder. Was -14 F up here.

HarrySmith

See waaay down the bottom of that map where it says 71 degrees? That's where I am ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

I located half way between San Diego and LA.  They are forcasting a high of 78 and clear.  I was great golfing on Saturday in shorts.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Phonesrfun

Shorts would be nice, but at 28 for the high in Walla Walla today, makes it look toasty compared to the mid-west.  Good luck, guys.

-Bill G

TelePlay

The sun was warm today so working outside in -10 F wasn't that bad if you were in the sun. But, after the sun went down, it got cold and this is what my car told me as I was about to drive home. I was heading south when I took this picture, as was the temperature.

DavePEI

Boy, are we getting a break! Tonight it is 10.4 c., 50.72 f. That is the warmest it has been in a month! In fact, it is about the first time it has gone above freezing in a month. Mind you, it won't last long - tomorrow back below freezing ending the day at minus 15 c., 5 f. with a wind chill of minus 26.

Enjoying it while it lasts, though, and I am hoping some of the ice will melt off the driveway and roads! Just as long as it doesn't pool and re-freeze tomorrow. For now, though I even have a window cracked open in the office!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

It has cooled of drastically here! It is supposed to be 42 degrees F by tomorrow morning! BRRRRRR ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

A little update to my posting below..... With the warm weather of the past 24 hours come its own problems. Before bed, I heard an odd sound. Investigating, I discovered the sump pump in the basement running full bore, a full sump pit, and no pumping. While I haven't yet had time to investigate thoroughly, I am hoping that the problem is merely a frozen pipe outdoors, otherwise the pump may be shot!

Update: I checked out the pump this morning, and thankfully it is ok. It was as I suspected - the end of the sump hose is frozen under four feet of snow and didn't thaw, leaving no place for the water to go.

It is cooling down this morning, now down to 2.8 c, and by this evening is supposed to be back down to minus 10.

When the sun rises, I am looking forward to seeing how much snow and ice melted in the past 24 hours. Sadly, all good things come to an end, and now back into winter!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001