News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Good Thing I Was Not Carrying A Phone!

Started by Craig T, January 26, 2010, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

If any of you put a hex on me, nice job, you almost had me today! I was coming down the stairs this morning with the full mason jar of coffee and several other things. I was clean, dressed, heading to work and then I slipped.

I rode 11 of the 13 stairs. The stairway is 7 feet wide, carpeted and no handrails. When you get out in the middle of it, you are on your own  ;D  Well I held my own, I skied those stairs and did not fall. Wish I could say the same for the coffee. Oh what a mess! Just everywhere and I am a neat freak. I was standing at the bottom of the stairs with an empty jar and I was soaked head to toe in coffee  >:(   :)  1 1/2 hours to shampoo that out of the carpets.

I took the fan off of it when I got home. It is back to where it was.

The rest of the day was fine, but a bumpy takeoff this morning!

Moral of the story: Take two trips!    :D

Anybody have any interesting "falls" to share, let's hear 'em!

ntophones

--nto

HobieSport

Quote from: Craig T
Moral of the story: Take two trips!    :D
Anybody have any interesting "falls" to share, let's hear 'em!

Glad that you're okay Craig!

Interesting "falls" to share?  Oh yeah...

I was in Paris (not to brag, but that's just where the story took place) being a typical obnoxious half-drunk tourist, and after too much wine, and on my way down into the Metro, I slipped at the top of the long moving escalator and rolled head over heals all the way down to the bottom, with pocket change falling out of my coat. As I got up, bruised but still in one piece (except for my complete lack of dignity, of course) a very nice and well dressed Parisian gentleman, who I of course had never met before, rushed over immediately and with genuine concern for my well being, dusted me off, and picked up my change and put it into my pocket, before asking me again if I was really okay before going off to catch his train.

Sometimes one hears that Parisian people are snobby or obnoxious, but I only met lots of really good, very polite folks there, friends or total strangers. All one needs to do is be as polite as them and at least try to speak just a little French.

Another time I was in the very busy shopping district during Xmas time and I dropped a 500 Frank note, didn't notice, and just kept walking. Another Parisian gentleman, again a total stranger, picked up the valuable bill, chased me down, told me that I had dropped it and handed it back to me.  Do you know that feeling of receiving genuine kindness from total strangers and it renews your hope for all mankind (personkind?) and almost makes you choke up a little?  I love those moments.

My worst fall was when the power went out in a friend's studio, and as I walked to check the circuit box in the dark, I tripped over one of those curved laminated wooden Swedish knee pad rocking chair thingies. I landed on carpet, but cracked my a wrist bone.  Little tiny crack that took six weeks in a cast to heal and hurt like heck.

Morals of the stories?  Don't escalate when drunk, Do carry a small flashlight in the dark, When in Paris do as the Parisians do, and there may indeed be hope for mankind. :)
-Matt

McHeath

Wow!  Bad fall Craig!  Glad you are okay.  And Matt your tales are pretty painful sounding as well.  I saw a woman fall once at a roller rink, when her head hit the wooden floor there was a sharp crack like a rifle shot, it was really surprising and a just awful sound. 

bwanna

nice save craig.....sorry about the mess. 7' wide staircase ???, do you live in a mansion or something?

hobie, thx for the uplifting stories of humankind :)

while walking down a snowy embankment, with the 70lb, 28' ladder balanced on my shoulder, booom! flat on my kiester :o amazingly... i did not drop the ladder ;D but, boy did i have a sore tailbone :(

i have slip &/or fallen many times....always my first reaction is to look around, hoping no one saw me :-[
donna

Craig T

Thanks everyone  :)  

Matt, broken bones sounds both painful and tormenting, 6 weeks with one hand  
:'(   That was good of those two gents to lend you a hand like that.

McHeath, I cringed as I was reading the end of yours OUCH!

Donna, good to hear from you,

It was a company house (a mining company house, this area was all mines 100 years ago, although you would not know it now). They were made for two families at one time. So each side had their own steps, when it was remodeled, it was left double wide. It looks nice though and it all flows out to a front door with a deck. It is great for moving anything big up or downstairs, but like I said it is rough being out in the middle of that for a fall  :)  

I think most people, myself included, would be in tears laughing if they had seen my spill live.

That is a bad fall that ended alright for you. 70 lbs is heavy that could have done some real bad damage. I will bet you were sore :(  Glad you are ok, hope everyone avoids that nasty winter slip.

Dennis Markham

Tough way to start the day, Craig.  As you said, good thing you weren't carrying that Light Gray 500!  Glad it worked out OK for you.

Dan/Panther

When I was about 4, I was carrying some toys down our stairs, and fell head over heals from about 3/4 of the way down.
Another time about a year later, I was coming down the same stairs in a hurry because my Aunt and Uncle had just pulled into the yard. When I hit the bottom landing, I was going to fast and put my right arm through the glass on the front door. I still have the scar.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Craig T

Dennis I could not agree more. If that Light Gray was in that pile-up I would have created a post that played TAPS when you went into it. There would have been a funeral staged for that phone.

D/P that is a real bad fall, especially for a kid to take. I would be terrified now, let alone age 4. Were those wood stairs? We had painted wood stairs when I was a kid, they got slippery easy and they hurt like heck when you hit them. Glad you made it through that tough spill D/P, that is another one that makes me cringe to think about.   -Craig

ntophones

When I was about 5, I fell down a wooden staircase outside of my Grandmother's house in East Texas. I landed on a stone path. I will never forget it--it was a long, somersaulting ride down! To this day, I use handrails on stairs and go a little slowly! :)
--nto

Bill Cahill

My parents' house in Harper Woods, Mi. had a cement porch with cement steps. 3 Big ones!
No rails!
Several times when little I slipped on the ice on that porch, and, tumbled to the cement patio. Ouch! Did that hurt!
Most of my young life I ended up taking the side door out to the driveway.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

foots

Here's a story of stupidity. Back in my teens during the mid 90's I was at my camp, which by the way was 8' off the ground with painted wooden stairs. Well, me being drunk as a skunk (which was the norm back then) made it all the way up to the very top step then slipped and tumbled all the way back down to the gravel below.  I then proceeded to stand up and after seeing that me and my beer were miraculously in good shape, I head up those steps again and I'll be a son of a gun if I didn't slip and crash again. I learned a valuable lesson that night, never paint wooden stairs without also putting anti-slip tape on them also.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

McHeath

bwanna

hey joshua....haven't seen much of you lately. glad to see you posting. btw...your story made a hilarious visual for me! hope you weren't badly hurt. :)
donna

foots

Other than my pride, my beer and my butt I was OK.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"