"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What model dial is this?

Started by djtownsend, August 19, 2011, 12:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtownsend

All,

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't find the thread for it.  I have a dial that came off of a candlestick phone I bought for restoration but I don't know the model number of it.  Below are pictures.  Can someone please identify this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Doug Rose

its an Automatic Electric. Should have a diamond with AE in it on the back....Doug
Kidphone

djtownsend

Doug,

Thanks for the info.  The phone I got it off of was a WE 51AL and now have two of these dials.  I guess I will try to sell these on ebay since I want a WE dial on my phones.

Dan

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 19, 2011, 12:14:57 PM
its an Automatic Electric. Should have a diamond with AE in it on the back....Doug

Ah yes the AE diamond....also known as the AECD Diamond on many ebaY listings! (people who have no idea what AECo is/was seem to think it looks like it says AECD).

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: djtownsend on August 19, 2011, 12:21:38 PM
Doug,

Thanks for the info.  The phone I got it off of was a WE 51AL and now have two of these dials.  I guess I will try to sell these on ebay since I want a WE dial on my phones.

Dan
Dan...post a picture of your 51AL. You should have a #2 dial on it, but any WE dial up to a #6 will work. It was not uncommon for the AE dials to find their way to WE phones. ....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

What is the patent date on your 51AL??? It's not NOVEMBER 1910 is it?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

djtownsend

All,

Here is a picture of the candlestick phone I just refurbished.  The transmitter cup does not have a patent date on it, it just says "Property Of The American Bell Telephone Company".  I do have two other candlestick phones that I'm about to get painted and both transmitter cups say "Patented in U.S.A. November 1910".  Is that significant"?

I know that these phones are supposed to have #2 dials in them but they are rare and cost boo koo $ so I don't have any.  All I have are #4 and #5 dials which I have to put in them since I don't have any #2 dials.  I know, it's a shame but that is all I have.

Lastly, does anyone have instructions on how to wire in a #4 or #5 dial into these things?  I have wiring diagrams for #2 dials but none for 4 or 5's.  I tried to guess using the #2 diagrams I have but aren't quite sure if they match or not.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies and let me know about the wiring if you can.  Thanks.

Dan

NorthernMan

Are November 1910 the fake or repro sticks ? Sounds familiar ... i believe there is a thread on this somewhere. Number 2 dials sell on Ebay for $50-$100 .

djtownsend

There is a #2 dial on ebay where the current price is about $50 but 47 people are watching it.  Other #2 dials I've seen sold well over $100.  I can handle anything under $100.  Do you know where I can find #2 dials for sale besides on ebay?

Dan

Wallphone

Dan, After a quick look at some of the WE candlestick diagrams it seems that all you have to do on a #4 or #5 dial is run a short jumper from R to BB (on the dial) and then wire it like a #2 dial.
Doug Pav

djtownsend

Doug,

Thanks for the info.  That helps a lot.

Dan

Wallphone

Don't thank me yet. Try it first to make sure the dial doesn't blow up. I hate when that happens. :o
Doug Pav

rdelius

The nov 1910 cups are reproduction. Inspect and compare parts to an origional stick to see what else might be fake

GG

To make matters more confusing, the AE model number for that dial is 51-A. 

You can tell you have a 51-A dial if when you dial any number, the dial pulls back without making any sound at all.  This because AE put a "pawl silencer" in the mechanism, which is basically a cam that lifts the pawl off the ratchet but then lets it re-engage when the dial is returning.

The earlier AE type 24 had a piano wire spring over the pawl in such a manner as to dampen but not totally silence the sound of it clicking as the dial is wound up. 

Prior to that, no piano wire spring, so you hear the loud clicking of the pawl as it's pulled over the ratchet wheel. 

AE dials for type 80 sets, with extended number plates, were type 52. 

rdelius

The type 24A36 had the piano wire silencer and the type 24 had no click supression
Robby