News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I hate it when they do this!

Started by Greg G., June 24, 2016, 05:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Take what would otherwise be a beautiful vintage vehicle and paint flames on it! 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

I feel the same way when I see decent motorbikes I'd like to have turned into so-called "cafe racers" and "bobbers", looks awful and ruins the bike... :-\

As for painted or decal flames on cars, that just looks silly on any car, it's ike putting a GTi badge on a 2CV, doesn't make it go faster, just makes people laugh at the driver...  ;D

19and41

They make chrome flame grillework also.  Nothing says a real person is following you like seeing those.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

I hate just about anything custom when it comes to cars, especially red flames and a $20 flat black paint job!

Now what's wrong with the way it looked off the showroom floor?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

Nothing's wrong at all with how it looked off the showroom floor. But there are people with a mindset that customizing is OK and cooler than a car that's original. I know several people who've ruined perfectly good cars making them into something they're not. It's the same mindset of people who turn phones into lamps and TVs into fish tanks. They have no appreciation of history or authenticity.

I know of one person who's taking a 1957 Plymouth and making a "Christine" car out of it. Christine was a 1958 Plymouth Fury painted red, which was not how they came. The Fury was only painted Sandstone White in 1956-57 and Buckskin Beige in 1958. So he's making a fake fake car, or trying to, because he thinks it's cool.
Jonathan

Dan/Panther

My Mom and I were coming home yesterday from the doctors. A 46 ford like the one posted was driving down the highway, all original, maroon color white sidewalls. Looked great.

My Mom and Dad had one just like it when I was little. If She had seen the flamed one, Even my feelings would have been hurt for Her sake.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: jsowers on June 25, 2016, 07:58:35 AMIt's the same mindset of people who turn phones into lamps and TVs into fish tanks. They have no appreciation of history or authenticity.

I think i just found a new one to add to the list, turning a lamp into a lamp......................... :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272280620471

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 25, 2016, 11:48:22 AM
My Mom and I were coming home yesterday from the doctors. A 46 ford like the one posted was driving down the highway, all original, maroon color white sidewalls. Looked great.
Dan

Like this one? Sure looks beautiful!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

It's only paint, it can be re-done. ;)

Not exactly like using a drill press to violate/destroy forever a vintage telephone housing, or handset, and trashing the wiring to make a lamp. :o :'( :o :'(

Is it a '41, or '46 Ford? Same flavor, iirc. 8)

>>There's been more than paint done to the subject car; lowered, most likely later suspension is readily apparent. Reckoning a much more modern drivetrain, as well...

In order to restore to original, the paint would be the least difficult step, imho.<< 8)

ymmv

Best Regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

It does look really good in red.

Babybearjs

the red table lamp was a actual marked product. I had one when I was a kid... I don't know if they took actual kerosene lamps and painted them red and then electrified them, or made the whole thing new. It was a novelty item and I liked mine until I grew out of that design...
John

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 25, 2016, 09:20:01 PM
the red table lamp was a actual marked product.

I'd have thought it'd have been more logical to put the bulb inside the lamp, rather than stab a lamp through the lamp to make a lamp lamp that looks like it was made by a person who also turns phones into lamps........

Kind of like my LED lantern I made actually (and no decent lamps were harmed in the making of that one, just one leaky, poorly manufactured chinese thing with metal so thin it makes a pepsi can look like a tank's armour plating!!), and yes, it's mains powered and probably not electrically safe...  ;D

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

It does, trouble is, the "warm white" LED I picked for it is more like "Thorium Mantle Green", so looks odd... ;D

That and it's cheap & lacks proper smoothing so has bad AC flicker, which is quite noticeable on 50Hz...