"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Caution on Lanterns Indoors

Started by AL_as_needed, July 10, 2017, 09:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 23, 2017, 10:08:59 PM
Now I use klean heat 1-k substitute (by klean strip) in all my lanterns once they are finished and tested to not leak/ function correctly. For testing however I use plain jane 1-k kerosene as I have a lot of it on hand and its a  bit cheaper here.  The comet had its little "incident" while testing on 1-k, and as john pointed out that 1-k has a much lower flash point than klean heat.

Just as an FYI in case needed, Klean Strip has very close or similar and somewhat confusing products names. They both fall under the general description of "Klean-Strip Kerosene Heater" fuel but there the two are quite different:

1)  "Kerosene 1-K Heater Fuel" which is a low sulfur kerosene with a flash point >100° F

and

2) "Klean-Strip Klean Heat" which has less aromatic compounds and sulfur to burn nearly odor free and with a flash point of about 145° F.

The labels look the same but #2 does say Klean-Heat. Images of the large label and the side panel showing the manufacturer's parts number are attached. Hard to forget the GKKH99991 Barr product number (the 1-K kerosene is only a 5 character part number)

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on July 24, 2017, 07:21:16 PM
Just as an FYI in case needed, Klean Strip has very close or similar and somewhat confusing products names. They both fall under the general description of "Klean-Strip Kerosene Heater" fuel but there the two are quite different:

Just to echo and add:

These two products are also usually (if my local Lowes is any indicator) right next to one another to add to the confusion. Both products have very very similar labels, so much so I think the only difference is the Klean Heat or Kerosene Heater Fuel labeling, and are both clear/in a clear square container. On the plus side, they are also the same price surprisingly. 10 and change here in NY.
TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

Performed a little quick experiment to see if there were any major performance changes between 1-k and klean heat in my other lanterns. In the comet, it was observed (after the excitement of the indoor fireball, prompting it to be switched to klean heat right away) the flame was not only whiter/brighter, but more stable. Additionally, It could hold a larger even flame before starting to "soot-out", as well as the elimination of a "strobe" issue that had plagued the comet since I had it.

Anyway... I put 1-k in both the blizzard and one of my two wizards (they have had klean heat from day one with me) just to see how they handle the fuel. Now as a quick note; 1-K kerosene has a flash point of about 100 degrees F give or take. Klean Heat on the other hand burns hotter at a flash point of 140 degrees F. So the theory I have had going into this is that the 1-K, being slightly more volatile would present similar issues faced by my comet in my other lanterns when used as fuel.

The wizard (when on 1-k) showed the same exact strobe and flare-up tendencies as the comet did. While brighter than the comet, the flame was a darker orange and very very sensitive to any changes in the wick height. Sooting-out began at a flame height of about 1/2 inch above the burn cone, and was rather jumpy during adjustment. All same or similar to the Comet's issues when on 1-k.

The blizzard on the other hand only seemed to suffer a slight drop in light output, but otherwise carried on as if nothing had changed.... A possible benefit of its larger globe size and air tube volume? Maybe...

While I have no exact way of measuring light output etc., just through careful observation and use, Klean Heat is clearly a more stable burn in these types of lanterns. I would be tempted to find something with an even higher flash point (say 150) for arguments sake and see if there really is a correlation between higher flash point temp and the stability of burn in these lanterns.

Has anyone noticed any interesting behavior while using other types of fuel?  Like Aladdin lamp oil or similar vs other fuels?
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Well, there was mention of using Diesel in a lantern on my Super Aladdin thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17621.msg182500#msg182500

Keep thinking of trying it too and compare it to regular paraffin in my cheap chinese lanterns, but, means getting a separate diesel can (at least £5 on it's own) and of course the diesel itself, which if it doesn't really work out, I'd have no use for as a fuel...

AL_as_needed

Diesel (from my understanding) is less refined than kerosene and is usually dyed to denote its use/sulfur content. In the US we have three main types;light green green color is considered low sulfur for on the road use. Red or pink denotes higher sulfur content and reserved for farm use, home heating, or heavy equipment (bulldozers etc) and tends to burn a bit sootier.

The third is a blended fuel mix of diesel and kerosene for use in winter. While not so much the case now, but older lower compression diesel engines need a but more bang to get the pistons moving in the dead of winter when the oil jells up.

In a tubular lantern, I'm sure the diesel would burn fine, just might burn a bit dirty and clog the wick sooner than on paraffin/kerosene. I have also read of people mixing alcohol (i think...) and used motor oil in lanterns, which I can only assume burns very very dirty (and smelly). If you do try it, or any other fuel, let me know how they run.       

TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

I think there's presently only really two forms of diesel fuel here, road diesel (which is taxed for road use) and red diesel (dyed with a red marker as it is untaxed and not for use on the road, and fetches quite the penalty if people are caught using it), all of which is now Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel, or ULSD, there may be a form of winter diesel but I'm not sure about that one, nobody really notices any change at the pumps anyway...

In the past I've trued WD40 in a lamp (about 12 years ago), wasn't all that good, flame was poor and eventually the stuff managed to find its way out of the crimped edges of the tank and piddled the contents everywhere underneath it, wasn't fun to clean up, especially as it was indoors (live and learn, and all that)... ::)

And of course there's people that try various vegetable oils, but those tend to gum up the wicks and stop the thing burning properly, so, not a good idea...

19and41

A problem in my area is just finding the proper type of fuel from a meager selection.  I am using a product labeled "lamp oil". Only by actually unsealing it and smelling it, then trying it, do I find it is deodorized kerosene.  At a nearby grocery chain, with kerosene lamps, they sell "lamp oil".  This product has opaque flaky precipitate at the bottom half of the bottle, smells odd and will not burn in a kerosene lamp.  It is at the point where one should just steer clear of products that associate themselves with lamps and seek out just kerosene in it's various refinements.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

IIRC, lamp oil is a less fluid liquid intended for use in solid wick oil lamps such as those found in some restaurant tables. It's too thick for a kerosene fuelled lantern - hence the difference between lamp and lantern. It's a liquid wax and burns just like a dead flame candle wick.

Klean Heat made by AM Barr I found at a farm supply store and the Lamplight Farms Medallion lantern fuel at Ace Hardware stores. They have the same flash point at 145° F. Both are clear, no coloration to clog the wick, and hardly no odor for indoor use. Low sulfur kerosene can be used outdoors.

A Google search for either of those will show which stores in your area carry them or can order them.

Never had any issues with either of those two fuels and I've burned several gallons of it indoors over the past few years.

19and41

It appears Home Depot carries it.  I shall have to bust loose and get some.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Over here, the equivalent to that would technically be Caldo Paraffin Extra (though there are other "Premium paraffin" offerings too), though from my experience of it, it didn't seem that different to the regular "Pre-Pac" Paraffin, the only visual difference being that it was dyed a greenish-blue colour, it smelled the same as a fuel and when burned to my nose...

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on August 01, 2017, 09:54:39 AM
It appears Home Depot carries it.  I shall have to bust loose and get some.

I just check HD and yes, they do carry it. My store, the one closest to me, says they have 3 gallon sized jugs on the shelf for $10.98 each. Good price.

As long as it says, in big letters "KLEAN HEAT" on the front and the product code on the side panel is "GKKH99991" then you have the right stuff.

As Al_as_needed said, the the labels on the 1-K Kerosene and the Klean Heat fuel are very similar and right next to each other on the shelf, so pick the right one. I think they are usually in the paint section, solvents area.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on August 01, 2017, 12:07:06 PM
I just check HD and yes, they do carry it. My store, the one closest to me, says they have 3 gallon sized jugs on the shelf for $10.98 each. Good price.

As long as it says, in big letters "KLEAN HEAT" on the front and the product code on the side panel is "GKKH99991" then you have the right stuff.

As Al_as_needed said, the the labels on the 1-K Kerosene and the Klean Heat fuel are very similar and right next to each other on the shelf, so pick the right one. I think they are usually in the paint section, solvents area.

They will definitely have it as we get closer to winter. Here in NY (and I assume elsewhere as home depot/Lowes are chains) they also offer 5 gal drums of the stuff for about 40$+  I found mine in the paint aisle by the other solvents and cleaners.

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 01, 2017, 12:14:31 AM

In the past I've trued WD40 in a lamp (about 12 years ago), wasn't all that good, flame was poor and eventually the stuff managed to find its way out of the crimped edges of the tank and piddled the contents everywhere underneath it, wasn't fun to clean up, especially as it was indoors (live and learn, and all that)... ::)

Sorry but thats too funny. Sounds like something I would do in all honesty....one slick floor later...but very very stain/water resistant.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Unfortunately the floor underneath where I hung that lamp was carpeted, so, yeah, quite the cleanup job there to get that stuff out of the carpeting...  ;D

AL_as_needed

Not to beat a dead horse on this thread, but the kerosene gremlin visited one final time. Since the whole Comet fireball incident, all my lanterns had been switched over to Klean Heat for fuel....all but two. Last hold-outs being the No 40 Traffic Guard and the highway torch. I had figured these two could remain on kerosene as they are out-door use type lamps.

Well being a nice evening, figured I'd light them up. The No.40 began smoking like crazy shortly after being lit. After taking a closer look inside, the entire chimney was packed solid with soot. I guess it's night out on parking duty was not without consequence. The "cannon ball" got the last bits of kerosene as smoke is sort of part of its appeal. The importance of a healthy diet.
TWinbrook7

19and41

They say experience is the best teacher, If many can get the benefit from it, I would say it's far from beating a dead horse.
— Arthur C. Clarke