News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Damaged threads on cap.

Started by Greg G., October 10, 2009, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

d/p  good idea on the battery tbrush. i buy the gallon size. the last time i got it was $75(inc s/h) for 4gal.  it is a concentrate, so goes a long way.
donna

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
Is that $75.00 for one gallon, or four gallons ?
Is it a green liquid thin or thick ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

d/p    75$ total for the 4gal.  if you can find a local supplier, can buy in as small a quantity as a quart. the gal i buy from is a little ways a way, so i just ordered over the phone. it will take me forever to use up 4gal. but  was cheaper in the long run to buy big.

it is a thin liquid. mixed 1part to 2parts water in a spray bottle, makes a good multi purpose cleaner. or a few capfuls in a tub for soaking the phone parts. i was told it will even remove some types of paint.

is that more than you wanted to know ??? ;D
donna

Greg G.

Well, here's the pictures after about a 9hr soak in hot water and Oxyclean.  The Oxyclean worked great, I'm hooked!  

It looks like it's true color is more blue rather than green.  I can't figure out how the fading occured.  If the UV exposure turned it more green, and the body is more blue under the handset, which makes sense, then why didn't the handset turn green?  One side of the main cover is green, the other blue.  Must have had a strange exposure angle and sat in one spot w/o moving for many years.  

Oh, and the cap only fits ok as long as I don't put that spacer ring under the receiver, otherwise it still doesn't go on right, even after I used my old electric toothbrush and lubed the threads with a bit of soap, but it's not as bad.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on October 13, 2009, 07:39:49 PM
d/p    75$ total for the 4gal.  if you can find a local supplier, can buy in as small a quantity as a quart. the gal i buy from is a little ways a way, so i just ordered over the phone. it will take me forever to use up 4gal. but  was cheaper in the long run to buy big.

it is a thin liquid. mixed 1part to 2parts water in a spray bottle, makes a good multi purpose cleaner. or a few capfuls in a tub for soaking the phone parts. i was told it will even remove some types of paint.

is that more than you wanted to know ??? ;D

Bwanna;
It is always a pleasure to get a response from you. Never too much said. ::) ::)
D/P

Brinybay;
You used Oxyclean by itself, no peroxide mix ?
D/P

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 14, 2009, 01:13:14 PM
Brinybay;
You used Oxyclean by itself, no peroxide mix ?
D/P

Yes, just Oxy alone.  In a small bucket with just enough hot tap water to cover the main body of the phone.  I guessed at 4 "scoops" for the amount, but next time I'll try to measure it.  I did that just before leaving for work, then removed them when I got home, so give or take 9-10hrs.  The fingerwheel came out good too.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Is the color really a even as it kooks ?
D/P

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 14, 2009, 04:31:11 PM
Is the color really as even as it looks ?
D/P

On which part?  The colors are as they appear in the picture, yes.  Here's a shot of the dial bezel and before/after shots of the phone.

- Mike Row
e

bwanna

briny, do you think the discoloration was from UV fade or maybe nicotine stain? i use oxy clean in the laundry, never tried on phones. looks good ;D 8)

d/p  flattery will get you everywhere :-[
donna

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on October 14, 2009, 09:43:10 PM
briny, do you think the discoloration was from UV fade or maybe nicotine stain? i use oxy clean in the laundry, never tried on phones. looks good ;D 8)

Don't know, I assumed UV, but could be nicotine I guess.  I got Oxy for the phones, never tried it in laundry.  :D
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on October 14, 2009, 09:43:10 PM

d/p  flattery will get you everywhere :-[

Bwanna;
One can only hope.... 8) :o
D/P

McHeath

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on October 14, 2009, 11:29:42 PM
Great results!  

I'm happy with it, at least as a preliminary cleaning, of course it'll be sanded down and buffed later.  I'm especially happy with the handset cord cuz I can't sand those.  I've washed one other handset cord in the dishwasher with about equal results, but the dishwasher is very noisy and I can't listen to music while working on my phones (my "shop" is in my bedroom).

Hey, guess where I found the scoop?  Buried in the Oxyclean!  One scoop is about 1/8 cup, so I must have used about 8-10 scoops in 2 gallons of water, which is about what the instructions say to use.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on October 15, 2009, 12:07:53 AM
......which is about what the instructions say to use.

I would never admit to following instructions....
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 15, 2009, 12:11:30 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on October 15, 2009, 12:07:53 AM
......which is about what the instructions say to use.

I would never admit to following instructions....

'Sokay, I only do so as a last resort, after the fact... :D
- Mike Row
e