News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Today's eBay Absurdity - What Are They Thinking!

Started by McHeath, September 29, 2009, 01:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on October 02, 2009, 12:29:11 AM
158?!  

Ouch.

I'll bet there is a thick layer of dust on it, not gonna move at that price.  I suppose it will be worth that kind of money early in the 23rd century.

If it does sell, I'm going to find out who bought it!  I could retire in ease selling them my collection!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

foots

One of the antique stores near here has several of them, all around $75 - 95 bucks  ???  There is also a badly discolored beige '83 Stromberg Carlson 500 for $35. Strange thing is, I picked up a very clean green mid sixties  WE 500 for $12 from the same place. Not quite numbers matching, parts from '66 - '69 but not a nick or scratch on it.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Yeah, get a load of this highly collectable, top-dollar item:

http://tinyurl.com/ydvwt3h ( dead link 02-19-21 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

o WOW!! i have been wanting a 1973candlestick for years ::)
donna

Dan

Quote from: Brinybay on October 01, 2009, 11:10:02 PM
I'm back.  Only two guesses?  Bingster got it.  A whopping $158.00.  This particular antique store is usually somewhat reasonable (for an antique store). High quality stuff (except for the phones).  Same place that has that Jade dishware collection.

I got the same phone for $3 at my thrift store. The don't know phones (thank God)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

Quote from: Brinybay on October 01, 2009, 11:10:02 PM
I'm back.  Only two guesses?  Bingster got it.  A whopping $158.00.  This particular antique store is usually somewhat reasonable (for an antique store). High quality stuff (except for the phones).  Same place that has that Jade dishware collection.

Update:  I was in there for the first time yesterday since I posted that.  Yep, you guessed it, it's still there and they still want $158.00!
- Mike Row
e

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

One would think, for $5K, the seller could polish the brass.  I wonder if the seller will combine shipping to save a few dollars ;)

Larry

Doug Rose

Detroitola is a member of both the ATCA and TCI. He is an honest and fair seller on eBay. I am betting that this is an error in listing. He knows his stuff and he knows an AE34 is not worth 5K....Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

I agree with Doug. The seller always sells nice phones, and he buys nice phones too. I know that he bought one of Ray K's masterpieces. It must be a typo.
Dougpav

ntophones

That's a big typo, if that is what it is--wowee. I'd like one of those phones, but, that's a bit out of my league!
--nto

gpo706

I've bought parts from this seller before, but think she's overreached herself here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GPO-PHONE-BAKELITE-DIAL-C-I-R-C-LIP-TELEPHONE-SPARES_W0QQitemZ350293559938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_RadioTelevision_Telephony_SM?hash=item518f1f8a82
( dead link 02-19-21 )

Be cheaper bidding on a whole dial...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Doug Rose

Auction now has the corrected price of $499.99.....Doug
Kidphone

foots

I've been wanting a Kellogg red bar but they've always been a little bit pricey. Here's one that goes way beyond a "bit" pricey. Item no. 120533078738 
Opening bid of $1000.00  I wonder what going on in some people's minds.

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

LarryInMichigan

I noticed that one.  I cannot believe that anyone would think that they could get that much money for the phone, so I thought that perhaps the seller wanted to start at $10, but their keyboard has a sticky '0'.  On the other hand, this gives you a chance to bid on the phone without  any competition ;)

A chrome metal red bar desk phone went a day or two ago for $49, which was less that I expected.

Larry