News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 551A KSU, 1A2

Started by Fabius, March 23, 2016, 10:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Is this a unit that only needs cards to function? I see that a special power cord is needed.

http://tinyurl.com/hl4dmma
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

It is missing the ring power generator (118A).
It would be installed on a mounting bracket in front of (actually next to) the interrupter.

Weco355aman

The 551 A CANNOT have a 118 ringing generator installed in it. The 551 B can have a generator installed.
The 551 A has a twist lock power cord. No way to plug in ring gen.
This was the first compact 1A2 ksu. The phones used the buzzers for comm aud.
A external ringing source can be used.
Phil

unbeldi

AE_Collector

3 Amps of 10VAC there for lamps and buzzers.

We used nothing but 10VAC buzzers for common audible (ringing) on all of our key systems. So I wouldnt let the desire for 90 volt ringing put you off of buying this unit. 551's are the perfect small ksu for collectors. You can still connect the ringers in your keysets (if they have ringers) across Tip and Ring to have it ring following the CO ring cadence.

I am pretty certain that seller will look after you :)

Terry

Babybearjs

John

compubit

I just received two of these:

One is labeled 551A MOD, and has the power cable which permits a ring generator (which it came with) - I do have to put a new cable on, as someone has cut the ground pin on the extension cord.
It also has the full 66-block wired as a 551B

The second, though, is an origina 551A with the circular locking socket for power.  Anyone have any insight on where I can find the correct power cable to connect to the 110V mains?  Google search brings me here...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Someone found the correct socket online somewhere a couple years ago. Was it Stub?

Terry

ESalter

Would they by chance be the same twist-lock's that are used in the L31 payphone enclosures?  Someone post a photo of one, if they're the same type, I have a pretty large number of extras if anyone needs any.

---Eric

Victor Laszlo

There is no reason that you cannot have a 118A installed in a 551A. It just takes a little modification. Since I doubt that the Prototypical Phone Police would mind your messing with such a common KSU, go for it.  Change the plug on the cord to a standard 3-prong plug. That will allow the in/out cord on the 118A to be installed. In the absence of the correct mounting bracket for the gen supply, we used to take a wire tie and cinch the 118A tight up against the interrupter. There's just enough room to do a nice neat installation. A short length of X-conn wire run over to the last two pins on the 66 block and you're in business.

tptech302

Search ebay for HBL7593 I just bought some on there