News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Creepy OTR (Old Time Radio) Shows

Started by Mark Stevens, September 08, 2008, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

It was black. art deco bakelite looking. it was symmetrical on the sides, and in the center it had the tuning dial that opened up. I cant remember if it was a button or a slider that popped the dial up. dial was hinged. opening/closing the tuning dial powered it on/off IIRC. opened slow by spring power. not a small radio. want to say maybe 12" high by 14-16" wide? I could be wrong . I haven't seen it in 35 years so I'm going by memory.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

I think I've got it.  It's a portable, right?  It's the only one I know of with such a dial:
= DARRIN =

Steve

That looks like it, except the case was plastic (Bakelite) with lines. the dial portion looks dead on.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

I googled the model number you posted and found some more photos of it. after looking at the closed photo, I think that's the one.

my Grand Dad had a TV and radio repair business way back when, and I must have had 12-15 different radios he gave me. maybe I'm confusing the case design with one of the others? but after seeing it closed , that's the dial for sure.

Edited to say thank you, Steve
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

You seem to know your stuff bingster :)

Heres another question...

when we first went to the moon, my family's TV went out. we ran over to my Grand Dads to get another TV so we could watch the moonwalk.

he gave us a TV that was red/cream color trim. steel case. my Mom threw it out in the mid 70's.

any idea what make/model that was by any chance? I come up empty on searches for that too. maybe I'm better suited for a can and string setup!
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

I do remember seeing all-plastic versions of this radio, but I can't find  a picture of one.

The television will be a bit more difficult.  All-steel, two-tone table sets were all the rage in the late 1950s, and many manufacturers wound up making them.  It could be Zenith, RCA, Admiral, Stromberg-Carlson, or a few others.
= DARRIN =

Bill

Steve, I recall seeing a radio like that. Could it have been from Motorola?

If you have time (plenty of it!), you might browse through these photos, and see if you can spot it.

http://radioatticarchives.com/

Bill

Steve

Great link and thank you for posting it!

I dove in, but I'm in the deep end, and my water wings aren't working!

the helpful members here are most unlike other forums. I still feel like an internet noob, but I feel at home here with you guys.

THANK YOU!
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Mark Stevens

Quote from: HobieSport on December 23, 2008, 10:48:30 AM
It's true that this is a very special forum and we are an incredible group of kindly gentlemen.

Count me out. ;) :D

Ye Gods!!!  Let's stop and take stock for a moment...
Do you guys realize that my initial topic, Creepy OTR Shows, bit the dust about 20 posts ago?!! Is this is the thanks I get for setting up this swell forum?!  It's mutiny!  ;D 
Kindly gentlemen indeed...a bunch of hooligans!

McHeath

This is supposed to be about Creepy OTR radio shows?  I thought the subject lines were just to throw people off the scent.   ;D

HobieSport

Quote from: Mark Stevens
Do you guys realize that my initial topic, Creepy OTR Shows, bit the dust about 20 posts ago?!! Is this is the thanks I get for setting up this swell forum?!  It's mutiny!  ;D 
Kindly gentlemen indeed...a bunch of hooligans!

Don't worry Mark.  We always get back around to the initial topic eventually.  After we first discuss a few pull down lamps from the 1960s that look like flying saucers of course.  And maybe a few radios...

I did listen to some of the neat creepy old time radio shows.  It made me want to write cheap detective novels.

Merry Xmas and thank you so much for the forum!

bingster

It's all related, really...

What do you listen to ON your old radios?  Creepy old time radio shows!

What do you listen to UNDER your pull-down lamps?  Creepy old time radio shows!

See?

;D

= DARRIN =

Steve

Creepy old radio shows are best enjoyed on strange old radios :)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

McHeath

Under lamps that look like alien space ships!

bingster

Nah, you have to listen to old  sci-fi radio shows under those.  ;D
= DARRIN =