News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1966 Green 1500--Like I Need Another Project!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 01, 2017, 10:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's we go again: Another phone that needs help that I simply couldn't walk away from! For $35 on Etsy, I couldn't leave this behind!

https://www.etsy.com/1352416686 ( dead link 04-09-21 )

I asked the seller to pack it carefully, with the handset packed separately from the base. The seller was very nice and eagerly followed my instructions, but didn't exactly get them completely right. He put the phone between two chunks of molded styrofoam (like what you would find from a new appliance in the box) in the bottom of the box and on top of the phone. There were a few packing peanuts surrounding the phone, with the handset off the cradle. There was absolutely nothing protecting the sides of the phone, or preventing it from moving around in the box. Lo and behold, the entire back face of the housing had a series of severe cracks! >:(

Fortunately, I was able to fix them very fluidly (no pun intended) with Acetone. This is probably my smoothest crack repair yet!
---------------------------------------

There seems to be a fair amount of fading on the housing, but it looks better in person than in the pictures. Shouldn't be too hard to bring it back!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

I always include a line in my packing instructions that says "the phone shouldn't move when you shake the box." I've had sellers use styrofoam before, but it was cut to fit and worked well, and the phone was wrapped separately too. Have you approached the seller about the damage to the phone? He owes you some money back, in my opinion. You got a good deal, if the phone was uncracked.

Also, the etsy link doesn't work and I don't know how to fix them. They seem to have the word listing in there and a lot of other stuff that maybe you can't remove.

Good luck making this one presentable again. I hope all that shaking didn't mess up the touchpad.
Jonathan