News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Dials & Touchtone Pads / Re: What is the difference bet...
Last post by poplar1 - December 06, 2022, 06:57:25 PM
7C is a dial for color phones. 7A and 7D are black.

I don't know about 7DX. Can you provide a picture of the back?
Electronic Key Systems / Re: AT&T Merlin Phone System (...
Last post by Contempra - December 06, 2022, 05:47:09 PM
Quote from: FrankieD on December 06, 2022, 05:38:00 PM..There is one capacitor with what looks like melted wrapping. I'm not sure if that's due to age or something actually wrong...

Hi, I don't have this kind of phone with a capacitor, but I know that in electronics, an old and most likely dry capacitor, it no longer has the same value. However, if you decide to change it, put one of the same value or slightly higher, but never, ever put one below the indicated value.
Dials & Touchtone Pads / What is the difference between...
Last post by Contempra - December 06, 2022, 05:38:48 PM
Good evening, I bought this afternoon a telephone model 500 with a Dial 7DX dated January 1967. I usually find Dials 7C or D, but the one I cleaned and lubricated this afternoon. For you, it may be common and you know the differences :)

My question is ; What is the difference between these "dials". 7C and the 7DX? I ask since I don't see any differences between the one I did (7DX) this afternoon and the 7D?

Sorry, I don't know how to ask the question properly.
Electronic Key Systems / Re: AT&T Merlin Phone System (...
Last post by FrankieD - December 06, 2022, 05:38:00 PM
Quote from: FABphones on December 06, 2022, 04:41:50 AMGreat to reread some of these old threads. Lots of good info to be found using the CRPF search button.  :)

Could you provide more info, and photos.

Yeah, lots of good stuff. I've managed to get myself out of a lot of jams with this forum!!

So, as far as the 10 button phone goes, when I plug it in, it doesn't turn on at all. It just plays dead... It's one of the membrane sets; which are failure prone, unfortunately. They really are cool phones. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any common causes. I've taken it apart cleaned and reconnected all of the ribbon cables and still nothing. There is one capacitor with what looks like melted wrapping. I'm not sure if that's due to age or something actually wrong.
General Discussion / updated pictures
Last post by Babybearjs - December 06, 2022, 12:41:44 PM
well guys and gals! we are ending this year with good success on re-energizing my #208 KTU array. we added 3 #66 Blocks to the mix and wired in the #211 KTU only to discover it has to be OFFLINE in order for the #207 to work right... even though it is powered up and working, the "A" battery os off to the unit unless I want to demo it. I also bought some more 24BSP LED lamps from SuperbrightLED.com and got some color added to my alarm panel. I'm just finishing up reconnecting the buzzer circuits on the individual stations and then the system will be fully operational. I'm even looking at adding in the security system into the mix if I can add that to the system. My GE Simon interface will run off the 10 volt circuit and the door and window sensors are wireless. (though it can be wired if need be.) hope you like the pictures....
Pay Station Telephones / Amateur Payphones In Philadelp...
Last post by HarrySmith - December 06, 2022, 11:47:25 AM
Just heard this on the radio. A guy is planning on installing free payphones in Philly.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/technology/philtel-free-pay-phones-philadelphia-20221203.html

Number/Dial Cards / Re: North Galion Studio Dial C...
Last post by 3463319 - December 06, 2022, 09:35:55 AM
What was this used for?  The instructions are very complex, just to make a phone call.
Old Wanted Listings / Re: Wanted: WE444 "Designatio...
Last post by RDPipes - December 06, 2022, 06:59:37 AM
Item found!  ;D
Collector's Corner / Re: French Eurieult Type 10
Last post by FABphones - December 06, 2022, 05:07:15 AM
Found this info:

http://www.polymersplus.co.uk/technical/ivorine.php

—-

What is Ivorine made of?
'Ivorine - Synthetic ivory, made from cellulose nitrate, a thin translucent sheet with a matt surface. Suitable for use with watercolour, oil, gouache or acrylic, but especially effective when used with transparent media due to the luminosity that can be achieved'.

'Celluloid is useful for producing cheaper jewellery, jewellery boxes, hair accessories and many items that would earlier have been manufactured from ivory, horn or other expensive animal products. It was often referred to as "Ivorine" or "French Ivory"'.