News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Technical "Stuff" / Re: is the current system in P...
Last post by markosjal - December 03, 2022, 12:50:32 PM
oops I made a booboo that It has now been too long to correct.

I Wrote, "...but the cheap Chinese Huawei is very common in Latin America and the ones I have tested did not support touch tone"

I mean that "...but the cheap Chinese Huawei is very common in Latin America and the ones I have tested did not support PULSE DIALING".
Auction Talk / Re: Japanese WW2 Bakelite Tele...
Last post by Doug Rose - December 03, 2022, 10:52:21 AM
Quote from: tubaman on December 03, 2022, 08:50:04 AMPossibly. I have a WW2 period GPO 332 that has cork feet whereas usually they would be rubber. A wartime contingency perhaps?
thanks Tubaman
General Discussion / Re: Is there a source for a WE...
Last post by TelePlay - December 03, 2022, 10:36:33 AM
This topic is related by project, not parts sources, so it may or may not be helpful.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26441.0
Telephone Tools, Workshops, Tool Identification and Other / Re: Buffing
Last post by RB - December 03, 2022, 09:31:51 AM
Thanks all for the posts. Lots to infuse.
Fab, I would like to see your Dremel stuff too, I do a lot of miniature work.
Auction Talk / Re: Japanese WW2 Bakelite Tele...
Last post by tubaman - December 03, 2022, 08:50:04 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on November 29, 2022, 04:20:18 PMWere cork pads common on these phones?......Doug
Possibly. I have a WW2 period GPO 332 that has cork feet whereas usually they would be rubber. A wartime contingency perhaps?
Magneto & Manual (Cord Boards etc) / Re: French "Système Auto-Rural...
Last post by FABphones - December 03, 2022, 08:45:12 AM
This link explains (in French) the history of the introduction of Automatic Exchanges in rural France.
http://jean.godi.free.fr/histoire/r6.htm

Appears to be a small switchboard, small office use (example).

Can't tell from the image if the switches have two or three positions. Used to connect an incoming call to an extension. Looks like it has two extensions. May be used as an internal unit.
Magneto & Manual (Cord Boards etc) / French "Système Auto-Rural"?
Last post by countryman - December 03, 2022, 07:25:31 AM
I found a picture of this switchboard. The sign says "Board for network local battery or Auto-Rural".
What does Auto-Rural mean? Any idea what the function of the switches would be?
Telephone Tools, Workshops, Tool Identification and Other / Re: Buffing
Last post by RDPipes - December 03, 2022, 06:17:12 AM
Would love to see your machines CJ, here are mine. The large RED one is my 3400rpm 3/4hp buffer, this will rip your arm off and I'm not kidding. I use skinny wheels because the faster it runs you'll find that the more surface space you're using (width of wheel) the more it wants to grab it from you.
The smaller black and red machine is home made as you can see from an old washing machine dual shaft motor 1/8 hp 1700rpm I use different size and type wheels (diameter and width) depending on the rouge and the speed I want to buff at. The String wheel on the right is only used for cleaning up and final buff and NO rouge is used on it, it was mainly used in my pipe making back then.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: is the current system in P...
Last post by markosjal - December 03, 2022, 05:31:06 AM
I Think the first question is what kind of service you have. If your current phone connects to a copper wire that comes from a pole on the street (possibly through a DDSL Filter) , then you have an old analog POTS Line. If the line connects to your (DSL, Cable of fiber optic) modem (not a DSL Filter) then you probably have a newer VoIP based service.

In the case of analog POTS line then yes it will probably work just fine even with a Rotary Phone and older ringer.

In the Case of a VoIP line it may or may not work to varying degrees. First is there enough power to ring the bell(s) off the phone(s)... The more phones you connect the more likely you will have ringing issues.

Also is the line capable of detecting rotary phone dialed digits...If not, and you want to use a rotary phone, then you can probably use a Rotation or similar device that does pulse to tone conversion.

Those are the two most probable issues you will face on a VoIP line and some VoIP devices will not have any of those issues. Motorola devices arre generally pretty good but the cheap Chinese Huawei is very common in Latin America and the ones I have tested did not support touch tone or high ring current.

In general, Panama has always been heavily US influenced (that canal was always too important) and uses the standard N. American 100V 60Hz power standard meaning it probably also uses 20 Hz ringing. It would not surprise me to see that Panama adopted a telephone system very much like the USA.

Quote from: ChrisW6ATV on December 02, 2022, 03:22:44 PM...there is a man in (I think) Arizona who does highly-recommended dial refurbishment...

Steve Hilsz
http://navysalvage.com/