News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Homemade AND old style 3 and 4 pin female line cord adapters

Started by long jumper, March 07, 2021, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long jumper

long jumper     I am new to this forum. I am a novice at collecting and repairing rotary dial phones. I consider my self more a person that likes to read about how to repair and tinker with them. I purchase at flea market/ facebook market place/ antique stores. been collecting for about 3 yrs. Have a small collection of a variety of rotary phones western electric  automatic electric  at&t. I always have in use two wall phones 554 & 352 W E. And one desk phone. Wanted to share some pics of home made line Jack Adapters made out of wood.one was made using 1/4'' copper tubing. the other by flattening a peice # 14 gage wire inserting into drilled holes.

( Edit: Image removed, rotated and re-attached )

Key2871

Very nice and welcome to the obsession!
If you weren't aware those prong jacks used springs just a bit larger than the pins and two used for each pin will when placed together make a nice connection with the pin.
I've seen small wire sized springs, I don't have any handy to show you, but if you've ever got springs in a box, and find they bind up when pushed by side to a very close tolerance. I've taken some apart that were just that, two springs pushed together and a wire soldered or crimped on the end and going to a terminal screw.
Those would make a very nice jack in any style that uses the pins.
Good luck, and show us your collection sometime.
KEN

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

countryman

Very nice! When I got my first phone with a German ADo27 "Walzenstecker" I also made a makeshift socket for it. Meanwhile I found an original one. But the homemade socket also works well. I used an old bike bell for it.

dsk

Nice work.
I use those 3 pin plugs at home, the traditional Norwegian standard.   The 2 upper holes are line, and sometimes the third was used as ground, or for ringer. In the basement I have to many phones on the line so there I use the third for extra ring poer, and wires the phones for grounded ringing.

dsk

long jumper

Purchased a 302 WE from resale shop had a line jack that i have never seen. someone there said it belonged to a traveling salesman that traveled overseas in the late 40's. DENNIS FROM A1 TELEPHONE THOUGHT IT WAS AUSTRALIAN.Called a manufacture in Australia said they no longer make these male or female.Dose anyone know where you can find a female jack for this. see pic

dsk

I believe i saw something lice that on a cabinet marced MARCONI, many years ago.

dsk

Key2871

That is a Jones connector. Strange for a telephone cord. They are hard to find these days.
KEN

dsk

FABphones

Also found this on eBay (item number 150991324809):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150991324809

Seller description of this plug:

3 Pin Cinch Jones Plug (P-303-CCT) [or Molex Beau P-3303-CCT] connector with right angle screw down strain relief. One blade is vertical and two horizontal to provide polarity. The connector can be wired as an AC or DC power cable. The socket measures 1.034in(W) x 0.472in (H) x 1.312in (L) (including strain relief).

SPECIFICATIONS:  * Polarized to prevent wrong-way insertion * Plugs have projecting flat blades, sockets have recessed twin blades * Plug prongs are .156" wide x .047"thick * Solder lugs terminals with wiring holes .093" x .062"* Molded monoblock phenolic, black * Hood is thermoplastic * Up to 150 degree Celsius * Plug 250 VAC RMS maximum* 10 Amps maximum.

—-

Might be worth asking the seller if he can help you re the parts you need.

<Edit: link added>
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Yup those are it. I never gave eBay a thought to find those, but nice to see there are some available.
I got to thinking I saw those used on the interphone system. So I was curious if they used 300 sets at all, or was it just 500 sets.
KEN

long jumper

Thanks for the tip on e bay.Do you think these were used over seas if they were what country ? Iam Looking at the female jack on e bay I think it would be to cool get the female jack and use it if it was actually used for telephone service

allnumbedup

I found this complete (outlet and plug) Jones connector in a lot along with a complete four prong one.  The Jones pieces are all metal with a long plug with a wide round entry. For the standard four prong plug, the cover and set screws are painted brass not plastic. I don't know if the Jones connector was used for residential phones but I did find with it someone's old diagrams made of there home jacks. Everything looks pretty good on the diagram with a hardwired phone in the kitchen but I am not sure what is going on in the rumpus room there...
Analog Phones for a Digital World

HarrySmith

Pretty cool stuff. Nice job of making a regular switch cover plate work for the plug. Can you add a picture of the Ivory (white?) from the back. Interested to see what they did.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

allnumbedup

I think the four prong plug and cover plate are original equipment and do not appear to be modified. The jack is labeled 493A and held in place by a bracket labeled 43A. Both were MD before 1967 according to TCI archives. The heavy brass plate and set screws appear factory painted but are unmarked. Note the blacked metal on the underside of the brass plate--maybe someone's Princess lamp shorten out the jack?
Analog Phones for a Digital World