News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Working Cold Wave Fan 9" Cage

Started by Doug Rose, October 02, 2021, 03:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet found this and it cleaned up well. Cage is almost clean, it was black paint and rusty. I need a little more work on the blades.

It it one speed and works great. No markings except Cold Wave on the cage.

Cage is 9" across and it is 12" high

Google says Sears in the 20s. Any info is greatly appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Looks great!  Just be sure to have it up high where children can't stick their hands in it when it is running!

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on October 02, 2021, 06:10:01 PM
Looks great!  Just be sure to have it up high where children can't stick their hands in it when it is running!

Mike
eight grandchildren this will not be used and certainly not plugged in
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Just have it up high, like on top of the Ice Box, or on top of a hutch.  They won't be able to reach it.

Mike

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 02, 2021, 06:23:04 PM

Still the best option
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Best thing to do with these fans is cut the power cord off at the unit.
Old design is not always good design, and these are a prime example.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

Why do you "I hate old things" always want to destroy things?

Mike

FABphones

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on October 05, 2021, 12:54:53 AM
Why do you "I hate old things" always want to destroy things?

Mike

That's a very broad statement, and a somewhat odd statement to make on a vintage telephone collecting website.

'I hate old things' and vintage collecting is a very unlikely pairing.

It should be remembered; old design is not always better design, and that adage certainly applies to these ill designed fan cages.

The dangers of this extremely outdated and badly designed item is well documented. Power cable removal is the best protection. A responsible seller would remove, or, at the VERY LEAST wind up and place the power cable INSIDE the base cavity. These badly designed fans are best kept as display pieces only.

Power cable removal will not destroy the 'integrity' of the design, but these fans WILL and HAVE and SHALL CONTINUE to destroy fingers. Making potential and even current owners aware of the danger of these outdated and poorly designed pieces is a responsible and smart thing to do.

Buyer beware. User beware. Stay safe.

—-

ETA: This is a well-meant post to purely point out the dangers of these poorly designed units. Besides the ill designed cages there are other issues e.g. asbestos was often used in motor insulation, they have old and toxic capacitors, lead based paint, metal and ageing electrical cords...
This thread will be read across the www by generations of folks that formerly would not be aware of just how dangerous these fans are. Now they know a little more and will hopefully be safer for it.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Have to agree with @FABphones on this. The design is beautiful but it's just not safe to use anymore. Physically the all but unguarded blade is a hazard and electrically you have a 100 year motor running in an ungrounded metal case.
Even if this were high up on the wall I'd want it rewired and properly grounded. I appreciate that USA 120V AC doesn't bite as hard as the 240V here in the UK does, but I'd still be very wary of plugging this in.
:)

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on October 05, 2021, 07:14:32 AM
Have to agree with @FABphones on this. The design is beautiful but it's just not safe to use anymore. Physically the all but unguarded blade is a hazard and electrically you have a 100 year motor running in an ungrounded metal case.
Even if this were high up on the wall I'd want it rewired and properly grounded. I appreciate that USA 120V AC doesn't bite as hard as the 240V here in the UK does, but I'd still be very wary of plugging this in.
:)
Re: Working Cold Wave Fan 9" Cage
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 06:23:04 PM »

Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

If you are in a 220 volt country, you should not buy this, as 220 will destroy it.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

Also, if you have a cat, you should not buy this, as they can and will climb, and stick their paws in it.

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on October 05, 2021, 01:49:35 PM
Also, if you have a cat, you should not buy this, as they can and will climb, and stick their paws in it.

Mike
Re: Working Cold Wave Fan 9" Cage
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 06:23:04 PM »

Mike

Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

BOY! fans sure have come a long way... that really looks good and will last you guys, providing you take care of it... amazing how they had little or no grill around them back then... wonder how many kids got hurt by sticking their fingers in those old fans...  really looks nice...
John