News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Junk Store Phones…

Started by FABphones, September 28, 2022, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Turned the corner in a junk store today and these were sitting on a shelf.

Tempted by the Ivory U43 at just €10, but I already have one...

Also tempted by the little Switchboard, especially when I got home and showed the photos - Mr F said he could easily wire it up and get it working in the Phone Den...

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Love the Ivory U43 CJ, too bad you didn't get it.
Wish there were places around here with deals like that, there use to be about 20 years ago, LOL!

FABphones

I may be taking a drive back over that way on Friday. I'll pop back in there and if they still have it I'll pick it up and bring it home.

:)

countryman

It's hard to find a neat little switchboard like that, which does not take up too much space but allows to demonstrate the functions!

HarrySmith

What are those 2 large phones with all the buttons?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 28, 2022, 02:23:41 PMWhat are those 2 large phones with all the buttons?
I was wonder that myself, kinda look like cash registers with handsets, LOL!

countryman

Presumably an intermediate station with a rotary / automatic office part combined with a line selector intercom.
An office call can be put on hold while making an internal call via the intercom part. The called extension then can switch over to the office line, using a similar station. Early "PBX alternative"...
In the picture there's a wooden version for 2 office lines and 10 internal extensions.

FABphones

Quote from: FABphones on September 28, 2022, 01:03:54 PM...I'll pop back in there and if they still have it I'll pick it up and bring it home.

All sold.
If they next appear on the auction site they will be easily recognisable.

FABphones

I found another Black U43 today.

€20, complete with écouteur to rear. Seller hasn't unpacked it but pretty sure I saw a crack to the fingerwheel (no parts broken away).

Went back to get a photo but seller had placed copper pans on top so I couldn't get to it.

I'll be back over that way tomorrow if anyone is interested.

MMikeJBenN27

Those are probably office phones that are part of a multi-line system and an intercom system, all in one.  The buttons allow you to select the line you want to use/answer.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

Too bad.  Here in my present town, there are no Thrift Stores.  Had a big one in my home town that sometimes had phones, but they closed several years ago.

Mike

HarrySmith

Here in South Florida we have thrift stores everywhere but when I asked if they had any old phones I get a look like I have 2 heads or they point me to a cordless phone. I stopped going in.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dvictor

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 10, 2023, 03:31:06 PMHere in South Florida we have thrift stores everywhere but when I asked if they had any old phones I get a look like I have 2 heads or they point me to a cordless phone. I stopped going in.

lol maybe you asked to person too young to know how to even make a call in a rotary phone.

MMikeJBenN27

I no longer bother to ask anybody under a certain age for help, as they will have no idea of what I am talking about, maybe won't even know how to read the signs in the store, (knowing how to read is "old-fashioned" nowadays), sometimes can't even understand English.

Mike