'49 500 set at the San Jose Show

Started by Doug Rose, November 24, 2015, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Is this a early 49 500 set?
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

It might be.

That dial face was used on 1950 sets too, but earlier that year IIRC.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 24, 2015, 12:14:08 PM
Is this a early 49 500 set?

The 'curled' OPERATOR label was replaced ca. Dec. 1950, and moved to the outer periphery of the dial.

The office designation SUccasunna did not exist anymore by 1955, I believe, I think by then it was already JUstice. I am actually wondering how long before 1955 Succasunna already had a dial office.  It was a very small office at any time, and in the early 50s probably had at most 3000 customers.  In 1965, it received the first 1ESS system.

Dan/Panther

They wouldn't let anyone inspect it ?
The designation Succasunna wasn't that the Pennsylvania area ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 24, 2015, 01:04:12 PM
They wouldn't let anyone inspect it ?
The designation Succasunna wasn't that the Pennsylvania area ?

D/P
I think the only location in the US with that name is the well-known place in New Jersey:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14504.0

cihensley@aol.com

I have a set with curled Operator identifier. The set is from 1950.

Chuck

rotary63

I was at the show, and I was able to take off the handset caps. both of the elements were dated '49 as was the handset and the caps. The base was also dated '49. As for the case, it had clear plungers which led me to believe that it had been replaced at some time, but the owner told me that the case is dated '49 as well and that apparently at the early stages the phone had clear plungers before the opted for black ones.
S.D. Hudson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: rotary63 on November 24, 2015, 02:01:32 PM
I was at the show, and I was able to take off the handset caps. both of the elements were dated '49 as was the handset and the caps. The base was also dated '49. As for the case, it had clear plungers which led me to believe that it had been replaced at some time, but the owner told me that the case is dated '49 as well and that apparently at the early stages the phone had clear plungers before the opted for black ones.
That's correct. WE used clear plungers on '49ers, then changed to Bakelite (or possibly hard rubber?), then reverted back to clear in the 1960s.
Christian Petterson

Jim Stettler

I suppose it is in the JKL Museum now.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rotary63 on November 24, 2015, 02:01:32 PM
Do you remember if the plungers were curved or flat on top? That was a question that arose when D/P was restoring his set.
Jim
You live, You learn,

rotary63

Funny you ask, the first thing I did when I saw that they were clear, was run my finger across them to see if they were smooth on top or had the ridge that the later clear plungers had. They were smooth with no ridge, but they were curved not flat.
S.D. Hudson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rotary63 on November 24, 2015, 02:45:00 PM
Funny you ask, the first thing I did when I saw that they were clear, was run my finger across them to see if they were smooth on top or had the ridge that the later clear plungers had. They were smooth with no ridge, but they were curved not flat.

That is probably why it was hard to determine plunger tops from the photos that were found when D/P was rebuilding his set.

{Looks like you need to create new plungers D/P.}

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jim S. on November 24, 2015, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: rotary63 on November 24, 2015, 02:45:00 PM

That is probably why it was hard to determine plunger tops from the photos that were found when D/P was rebuilding his set.

{Looks like you need to create new plungers D/P.}

Jim S.
...or use standard clear plungers from a '70s 500, those at least sound relatively the same as the '49 plungers.
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

Didn't some of the early 500s have a straight Operator and a Z?  Or am I thinking of the ones used for field testing?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on November 24, 2015, 07:38:41 PM
Didn't some of the early 500s have a straight Operator and a Z?  Or am I thinking of the ones used for field testing?
D/P's '48er has that dial plate, but I'm not completely sure about any '49 sets. Maybe some of the early '49s used for FT use.
Christian Petterson