News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Ah....very good! I went back and added that to my color codes post a few post back. I know one set isn't a very large sample size but I'm feeling pretty confident that this part of the coding is correct. I have two friends here each with several colored AE sets that I will work towards checking out soon.

Do you have any more info than what you gave already on that Orchid set Unbeldi? I may add it to my list as it isn't going to be very often that any details on an Orchid set will be available.

It's been a good day!

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

That's good finding the code for orchid, now if the other colors start turning up aside from what's been located so far, that leaves Black, Walnut, Mahogany, Royal Blue and Maroon.

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 08, 2017, 10:10:19 PM
Ah....very good! I went back and added that to my color codes post a few post back. I know one set isn't a very large sample size but I'm feeling pretty confident that this part of the coding is correct. I have two friends here each with several colored AE sets that I will work towards checking out soon.

Do you have any more info than what you gave already on that Orchid set Unbeldi? I may add it to my list as it isn't going to be very often that any details on an Orchid set will be available.

It's been a good day!

Terry
I'll keep looking...   Some more will turn up, perhaps I'll find some color sets in the basement, lol.  :o

Blue, chrome trim everywhere:

Z 18462  67         NR7           D-780503-A18

Clearly a frequency ringer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252003240770

AE_Collector

Interesting that the Orchid is an L4044. I have three L404x sets on the list so far, two are 4044 and one is 4045 and all three are colored sets.

I have one D set, D4045 and it is a Chinese Red set. I am wondering if the D might be an error as the second code is D20F. Maybe the first code starting with D was an error. It goes way back in my recording this stuff.

Some of the listed L4123 sets are colored sets and All 7 of my listed L4124 and L4125 sets are colored sets.

I have three N4022 sets listed, all colored sets.

Both my listed N4025 sets are colored.

I have 12 40's listed that the first base code has more than one letter, PL, PN, SL, SN. None of them are colored sets.

So, there seem to be certain assigned 40 and 41 sequences that are predominantly colored sets. A possibility exists that something in there could refer to the metal trim finish as ALL colored sets have either Chrome or matte gold finish on the metal pieces.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

Could "N" be the code for Royal Blue, do you suppose? I'm not saying it is, but it appears  to fit what we're seeing so far.

Keep us posted,
RotoTech99

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 08, 2017, 10:32:53 PM
Interesting that the Orchid is an L4044. I have three L404x sets on the list so far, two are 4044 and one is 4045 and all three are colored sets.

I have one D set, D4045 and it is a Chinese Red set. I am wondering if the D might be an error as the second code is D20F. Maybe the first code starting with D was an error. It goes way back in my recording this stuff.

Some of the listed L4123 sets are colored sets and All 7 of my listed L4124 and L4125 sets are colored sets.

I have three N4022 sets listed, all colored sets.

Both my listed N4025 sets are colored.

I have 12 40's listed that the first base code has more than one letter, PL, PN, SL, SN. None of them are colored sets.

So, there seem to be certain assigned 40 and 41 sequences that are predominantly colored sets. A possibility exists that something in there could refer to the metal trim finish as ALL colored sets have either Chrome or matte gold finish on the metal pieces.

Terry

When I have seen  SL and SN sets, it always seems that the S is enlarged, as if stamped separately.  I have usually ignored them in my memory, and only remember L and N, frankly, that is why I was surprised earlier in this thread.  But looking at some data I kept, I do had SL and SN too.  I don't think I have seen PL and PN,  but we have the same situation here, L and N again, with a P prefixed.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I'd be interested to find out if that code for Chinese Red is a error or not; when you determine for sure, I will look for the posting from you.

RotoTech99

unbeldi

L 4125 ASLD    TN6         D-780503-A41    Jade with chrome trim, extensicord

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Could the code with N in it from reply #183 be the Royal Blue code? the code reads Z1846267 NR7; he calls it Blue with Chrome trim, and a frequency ringer; Could this be the Royal Blue we seek?

RotoTech99

AE_Collector

The S and P codes never appear on their own but when they do appear it is always in front of the more common L and N codes. Interestingly, I only have L, PL and SL codes for 50's. No N, PN or SN 50 codes. Hmmm....

Z's seem to be a different animal again. No Z 40's but I have a couple of 47 sets with a Z. I have one Z 50 as well AND a SZL 50 to further complicate things. The Z50 and the two 47's with Z's....all AE Canada sets. The rest of the coding on Z sets seems to not follow the regular pattern very well.

Terry

Quote from: unbeldi on January 08, 2017, 10:41:44 PM

When I have seen  SL and SN sets, it always seems that the S is enlarged, as if stamped separately.  I have usually ignored them in my memory, and only remember L and N, frankly, that is why I was surprised earlier in this thread.  But looking at some data I kept, I do had SL and SN too.  I don't think I have seen PL and PN,  but we have the same situation here, L and N again, with a P prefixed.

AE_Collector

My guess is that it isn't. The third code field is almost always two letters and a number like NR7. Sometimes it seems like they put it backwards like 4BG. Since the second field just has 67 for the ringer frequency and is missing its dial indicator digit and since some colored sets don't have the letter code for the color, I am inclined to think the color code is just missing and the N is part of the third field of codes.

Terry

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 08, 2017, 10:50:29 PM
Dear AE Collector:

Could the code with N in it from reply #183 be the Royal Blue code? the code reads Z1846267 NR7; he calls it Blue with Chrome trim, and a frequency ringer; Could this be the Royal Blue we seek?

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Could the "R" in that code be for Royal Blue? I know its throwing a guess, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

AE_Collector

Anything is possible but there is no indication that they tried to line up the coding with the letter that the color begins with in any of the other examples so far.

Terry

RotoTech99

OK, I can concur with that, it's a thought, though.

I'll keep looking, and see what everyone else turns up on this, too.

There's still plenty of looking to do, so something will turn up, I'm sure of that.

unbeldi

Here is an example of an early set that shows what I described earlier.

The S is well separated from the standard ordering number, which included the N.

This appears to be another set from 1939 or so, with a silver-ink patent stamp.

My suggestion is that the extra leading symbol is not part of the primary order number, but has some additional significance.

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 08, 2017, 10:58:32 PM
The S and P codes never appear on their own but when they do appear it is always in front of the more common L and N codes. Interestingly, I only have L, PL and SL codes for 50's. No N, PN or SN 50 codes. Hmmm....

Z's seem to be a different animal again. No Z 40's but I have a couple of 47 sets with a Z. I have one Z 50 as well AND a SZL 50 to further complicate things. The Z50 and the two 47's with Z's....all AE Canada sets. The rest of the coding on Z sets seems to not follow the regular pattern very well.

Terry
<edit by AE_Collector - fixed a confusing typo in my quoted post>