News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Estate Sale

Started by wds, September 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Last item is quantity 4 of these glass lamp shapes.  Vintage Curtis X Ray shades.
Dave

wds

This is an interesting Candlestick.  Seems like an ordinary candlestick, until you notice the lever is on the right instead of the left.  So I thought maybe it's just put together backward.  The tab on the base is on the front, not the back.   The date on the base is aug 16 04 sept 13 04 jan 26 15, same as the 20al, or 40al.  The base and stem are brass.  No markings on the Perch.   Original paint is in great condition.  Has the updated transmitter and receiver, but is attached to a 534A subset.  Haven't torn it apart yet, but I don't see any dates.  Notice the terminal board in the base of the phone - also notice that there isn't a mounting bracket mounted to the stem either.  The two end screws in the bottom plate screw into the terminal board.  Any ideas about a model number or where it would have been used?
Dave

wds

More pics
Dave

HarrySmith

That is very interesting, I have never seen a stick with that setup in the base. Anybody?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on January 15, 2018, 03:22:51 PM
Last item is quantity 4 of these glass lamp shapes.  Vintage Curtis X Ray shades.

I've never seen anything like those lamp shades! Well....except maybe these that I have. I have the two shown below and two spares as well. Haven't broken one yet but they look quite fragile!

And, I can fill in some blanks. Of course there could have been many uses for these but being as yours (like mine) are telephone related, they are aisle lamps from Automatic CO's. Mine were acquired at the removal of British Columbia's 4th Automatic SxS exchange installation at the provinces capital city of Victoria installed in 1930. No such thing as fluorescent lights then, these had 150 watt bulbs in them every 8 feet or so down every aisle.

wds

Nice.  I need to find the fixture to mount the glass shade to.
Dave

AE_Collector

There probBly wasn't one. Mine are mounted on wood painted black with old fashioned ceramic sockets screwed to the wood. The guy who gave them to me riggged itbuo for over his pool table.

I recall newer versions of incandescent light shades (similar shape to the bankers desk lamp shades) being effectively mounted directly to electrical boxes with ridged conduit running between each of the boxes. Many of the SxS CO's that I worked in through the 70's and 80's were built in the 40's and 50's had incandescent bulbs/fixtures running along the back aisles and continuos strings of fluorescent fixtures in the front aisles. Back aisle lighting wasn't switched on very often where front aisle lighting was on all day long and likely depended on the CO guys whether it was turned off at night when they went home.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Would a standard light fixture shade holder base (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-4-in-White-Glass-Shade-Holder-Kit-7023800/204836032) work for these?  I see that Home Depot has them in at least two sizes.

Larry

AE_Collector

Those won't, these shades have a very narrow opening but yes they have the typical rolled over lip that three or four screws from the side will hold on to.

I just have CFL type floodlights in mine.

Terry

wds

The opening at the top is 2 1/4" o.d.  I'm going to hit Home Depot in a couple days after the snow melts a little and see what they might have.
Dave

AE_Collector

Identical model numbers (696) to each of our shades and ironic that we each have four of them. Decal is identical except mine has a Toronto Canada and yours Chicago Illinois. Probably an early predecessor to floodlights from a time when incandescent bulbs had not been around for all that long!

Being these are likely so fragile...I wonder if there would be a market for them?

Terry

LarryInMichigan

A specialty lighting store may have appropriate holders for these shades.

Larry

wds

Next Box  - unopened Telephone Trivia game.  Then an unusual Stromberg ringer.
Dave

wds

Everyone should have one of these.  Noteworthy Message Center.
Dave

AE_Collector

Are they a Nortel item?

Terry