"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Condenser replacement option

Started by Fennec, January 06, 2019, 06:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fennec

Hello, forum members:

A while ago I have posted about an option to replace a condenser for those with pillaged 302 bases kicking around.

I am posting this again with some more pictures - hopefully it will make a better sense this way :)

Basically, it's a small PCB, populated with appropriate capacitors, mounted inside an aluminum tube and capped on both ends. All parts (save for a PCB) are available from various sources on the 'net, so the end result is a form, fit and function replacement, that has a small additional benefit of having a non-leaking capacitor in the voice part of the circuit.

If anyone needs a PCB, let me know as I have plenty left over.

Dmitri

Babybearjs

:) what a great rebuild! they work perfectly for replacements! good luck with them! I don't need any, but at least there is an alternate source now!
John

markosjal

Probably would improve the sound quality of many 302s right now.

What do you do for the Condensor housing?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on February 24, 2023, 01:42:41 PMWhat do you do for the Condensor housing?

Fennec hasn't logged on in a year but I think the information you want, and read in the original topic posted 11/2017, was found by me in a forum search at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19253.0

Contempra

Quote from: markosjal on February 24, 2023, 01:42:41 PMProbably would improve the sound quality of many 302s right now.

Probably yes .. I have 3 or 4 302 now and all my 302 have a loud sound , The recievers are very good and my voice in the transmitters are also very good ... but i keep the thread in my favorit  .

TelePlay

An eBay search for "oval tube end caps" finds many sellers (for 15 mm x 30 mm end caps) at low cost all shipping from China.

RDPipes

I wonder where he got the PCB's, he didn't make them himself did he?
I would like to make up a few of these just because.

countryman

I guess you can order PCBs to your own specs in any quantity you want at relatively moderate cost - Google PCB prototype

RDPipes

Quote from: countryman on February 24, 2023, 04:33:57 PMI guess you can order PCBs to your own specs in any quantity you want at relatively moderate cost - Google PCB prototype

Oh! I didn't know that, thank you sir.
Probably costs more then I can really afford just to make up a few spares though.

TelePlay

A google search for "830-8-BL" turns up several sources. 8 is 8' length, BL is anodized black and 830 is the oval aluminum tube (15x30 mm).

Different finishes available.

Price is shown as $25 plus shipping. 8' would yield about 14-16 tubes.

Seems the cost for a completed repro condenser would under $12 each for caps, PC board (plain), tube end caps, wires and tubing (guessing $50 for 8' length shipped).

From this seller of a half dozen found in the google search:

https://absupply.net/storageorganization-wardrobecloset--tuberailssupportsbracketsflanges-tuberails-oval-tubing.aspx

RDPipes

Yeah too expensive for me just to fool around.

markosjal

circuit board seems like a lot of extra work. Why not just encase the capacitors and connections in shrink tube then hot glue into Aluinum tubing?

markosjal

I could use a few of these and in fact I think My NE (Gallion?) uses the same condensor. Since my brother has all the tools to cut steel tubing I do not see why I need to use aluminum as the steel tubing is cheaper. I also see absolutely no reason to bother with making circuit boards when I can solder to capacitor leads then shrink tube.

Looking at Capacitors most of the 2uf I see are "NOS" meaning they are "old". I also do not find modern .5uf capacitors so wondering about using 2.2uf and .47uf capacitors.

To additionally keep costs down and since I would hot glue all components into tubing, I see no reason to purchase any end-caps rather close them up on the ends with hot glue.

Also it seems pretty unsafe to me to stuff that un-insulated circuit board inside a conductive tube that could conduct out to the phone base. and give someone a nice ringing signal shock, especially on a metal 302.

Just wondering if there are others interested in some of these and any thoughts on the value changes of capacitors and design changes. Just looking to keep costs down and make some.

AliceWonder

Quote from: markosjal on February 24, 2023, 07:11:31 PMcircuit board seems like a lot of extra work. Why not just encase the capacitors and connections in shrink tube then hot glue into Aluinum tubing?

It looks like with proper soldering one could just cut a prototype breadboard to size and not need a PCB. I'm wondering if plastic oval tubing would work and might be cheaper?